Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Aspiring Expert
0 Ratings

Erroneous recording

[ Edited ]

Set box to record this evenings EPL game on BT Sport. Turned box on at 5.45 but the opening tiles at the bottom of the screen didn't show. Went to MyTV and recording stated 'recording' BUT there was also a finished recording of Friends on Comedy Central from 5.02-5.40

Thing is I didn't set that recording. When I pressed 'ok' to see why it was there it wouldn't play, just threw me back into live tv. The recording wouldn't delete. 

Then pressed ok on the 'recording' match only for it to come up as failed. There was no error code.

Decided to exit and go direct to 430 but the box didn't register the button presses. Eventually had to do a soft reboot but of course that meant missing over 20 minutes of the match.

Not a good start for me as I always need to record Saturday evening games as I get in after kick off.

Distinguished Guru
0 Ratings

Re: Erroneous recording

[ Edited ]

Well I did record the Brighton v Man City  Bt Sport 1 HD program on channel 430 .That recording looks fine having started at 5pm.(only watched an hour or so far but it seems to be fine)

So looks like the correct program was broadcast at the expected time i.e. 5pm.

when did you set your recording  ?

was it set as a series or single episode  recording ?

was it set on the Youview box or via the Youview or BT TV app ?

when did you last look at My TV Scheduled  recording tiles before the problems and did the Schedule tiles look correct ?

what state was your Youview box in at say 4:45pm  ie 15 minutes or so  before your recording should have started , was it some form of standby or was someone else watching it ?

Aspiring Expert
0 Ratings

Yes the correct programme was broadcast at the correct time. I know that because I had to jump into the 'live' game because of the recording fail.

I set the football to record a couple of days ago. I only ever record the matches as 'single event' recordings. I only use the box, I have never used the app.

The scheduled recording tile was still there at 2.30 yesterday afternoon.

The box was left on BBC2 before the recording start time as I'd left it on there from about 4.30 or so.

The failed football recording which was marked as 'recording' on screen is only part of the problem. What seems to have caused the problems was the recording of Friends on Comedy Central. No one else uses the box to set anything up on, and for that matter, I have NEVER ever watched Friends OR any other drivel on Comedy Central, and definitely never set a recording on the channel.

To add to that, as you can see in my 1st post, when I went to view the apparently successful Friends recording to see what was going on the box took me back to live tv. If you read the rest of that post you can see what the box was doing after that, and what I had to do to rectify it and get the box back to a functioning state.

Distinguished Guru
0 Ratings

Had your box been performing as you scheduled it the football program would have started recording at 5:00pm which is 2 minutes before the phantom reported recording on the Comedy Central (5:02).

So as you never scheduled a Comedy Central programme to record but did schedule a. BT Sport 1 HD football programme  It is is more probable  that the problem  occurred  due to what happened with the Youview  processing of that original football  recording request,

Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
0 Ratings

I always set recordings when the box isn't doing anything else. Neither do I delete viewed recordings if the hard drive is in use (recording). 

Can't understand why the box said it was recording.

Also, where did the rogue recording come from.

And, why did it keep throwing me into live tv AND not allow me to manually change channel.

Oh the mysteries and joys of a Youview box.

Distinguished Guru
0 Ratings

MadRob wrote:

I always set recordings when the box isn't doing anything else. Neither do I delete viewed recordings if the hard drive is in use (recording). 

Can't understand why the box said it was recording.

Also, where did the rogue recording come from.

And, why did it keep throwing me into live tv AND not allow me to manually change channel.

Oh the mysteries and joys of a Youview box.

Some good questions , the experienced users and Youview people on the Youview community may have some theories.,  If you do post on there probably a good idea to confirm Youview box model and current software version. Also when you say the box was on BBC2 at 4:30 whether it was then put in standby or left broadcasting that channel.

Aspiring Expert
0 Ratings

I'm not in that community but I appreciate the pointers. I have mentioned it in a different environment though so will see if there is any feedback from there.

By the way, just because you mentioned it, the box was left on while I popped out at 4.30

Thanks for the guidance. Much appreciated.

Distinguished Guru
0 Ratings

well with the box on and tuned into BBC2 that  would mean one of the box tuners was allocated to that channel  which should not have been a problem as you had only scheduled one recording at 5pm.

Aspiring Expert
0 Ratings

My thoughts entirely. Thats why I thought the rogue recording, wherever it came from, threw the box into a tail spin. Any subsequent recordings have went without a hitch (so far at least).