Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Aspiring Contributor

Re: Failed YouView Box

Hi, just to recap:-

Yes, I am using the original box. After a number of attempts I managed to start it in maintenance mode and gave it a full internet software reload.

The replacement would not start with either power supply. The symptoms were the same regardless - it started the boot sequence then stopped half way through and turned itself off. It would not enter the maintenance mode. I sent it back; at least the first box does (AL did) something!

The original box is now powered by the replacement power supply. It was plugged into a 4 socket extension 'bar' along with (just) the TV. I have now moved it into its own socket. The box gets warm but not hot. The power supply is not even warm. Before I moved the power supply the box had turned itself off (no lights on the front) but I noticed it was still making slight noise - sounded like a hard drive running. On turning the thing on again after replugging the power supply it has stopped waking up at the 'nearly ready' screen..... and has , once again, turned itself off - no lights on the front.

There are no building works, there's no dust, it's never been dropped, wet or mishandled and it has been sat at room temperature in my comfy lounge since it arrived. All the other electronic stuff I have (TVs, phone, PCs, fibre BB, ipads, iphones, etc) also works fine and I fly a long range 300+ seat Airbus full of computers for a living so I'm not a technophobe but this thing's driving me mad!

Highlighted
Recognised Expert

Your box is now connected to a wall socket, is it working ok now?
Aspiring Contributor

Nope - gets as far as the 'YouView' splash screen on the boot up then turns itself off. So it's actually worse than it was before I moved the plug. Yesterday it was just randomly turning itself off. Sometimes while viewing, sometimes not, and after random time periods from minutes to hours.

Expert

Hi - just to confirm - is it definitely the box turning itself off or is it that nothing is being shown on your TV screen?

If the former, is the box connected to a surge protector or an RCD device? Do the aerial cable sockets on the rear of the box feel very hot?

If the latter then might be worth trying a different HDMI port on your TV/HDMI cable (although from your description it sounds as though it is the YV box) Is it connected directly to the TV or via a sound bar?

Distinguished Sage

[ Edited ]

Its quite possible for the YouView box and TV to lose connection if there is a mismatch or degraded quality on the HDMI link.

I had this issue on my LG TV, and it was due to the HDMI lead being too long. Using a very short cable fixed the problem.

The picture would be fine, and then it would turn to a load of noise, and finally a loss of picture.

Its quite normal to see a short  of signal during startup, especially from a full power cycle, but if you listen to the YouView box, you can hear the hard disk clicking as it load the operating system. So just leave it alone.

If it was a total failure, the the lights on the YouView box would go out.

Aspiring Contributor

The box will not now complete its start cycle. It gets as far as the "YouView" (in blue) splash screen and then turns off. There are then no lights on the front of the box and you can wait all day but nothing else happens. The remote has no effect and the only way to obtain a response is to hold down the power button, or switch off (pause) on, on the power swith at the back. The startup begins again but will not complete.

When the box fails the TV screen shows "no signal" and the box has no lights on on the front.

None of the wires/plugs get hot. I'm using a short HDMI cable to connect from the box direct to the TV.

Guru

Is your TV a 4K UHD TV ?

Hi @AV8or Sorry you are having a problem with the Youview box.

We will be happy to help you with this if you send us your details. You can contact us by clicking on my user name and selecting contact the mods.

Thanks
John

Community ModeratorJohnC
Did you get the help you needed?
Help others by clicking on ‘Mark as accepted solution’
Show your appreciation!
Click on the star next to a reply to say thanks
Help guide to using the community? Click below
Kudos”
Make sure you are logged into the forum otherwise you will not see our contact link when a moderator offers help. When sending us your details please don’t send a Private message (PM), we can’t deal with account/service issues via PM so please use the contact link. Thank You
Aspiring Contributor

JohnC2 you have mail
Aspiring Contributor

zulu17

Yes, it sure is, and when/if the box works the picture is great!!