Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Beginner
0 Ratings

HG612 and IGMP problems with youview box

Hi,

I've ditched my HH5 due to terible range problems and reverted back to a HG612. I've unlocked it and using it in router mode and all is good except I can't get my youview box to receive IPTV channels. I've enabled IGMP snooping but still no dice. Any suggestions?

LAN1 on the HG612 links to my loft and on to a 16port linksys switch. From the my youview box is connected. The switch passed IPTV fine when used with HH5 so I think I can discount that.

LAN2 serves a tomato based router (in AP mode) which does my wifi.

Looking forward to hearing from someone who has figured it out.

Thanks

J.

Expert
0 Ratings

Re: HG612 and IGMP problems with youview box

This post is a bit old but it may help:

https://community.bt.com/t5/YouView-Boxes/Multicast-Settings-for-3rd-Party-Routers-may-not-work/td-p...

Any problems post back and I will try to help youSmiley Happy

If my post has been useful, please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side of the post.

If I have answered your question correctly please let me know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution' Thanks
Expert
0 Ratings

[ Edited ]

I wish to emphisise the OLD part as things can change over time.

Have you tried the Home Hub 5 again to see if it works?

If my post has been useful, please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side of the post.

If I have answered your question correctly please let me know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution' Thanks
Beginner
0 Ratings

Cheers. I'd already read that and several other threads like it. I seem to have the right options enabled but no dice. I habe noticed though that instead of the error I was getting now I get the screen telling me to subscribe and a phone number.

I'll connect thre HH5 back up to confirm all is good. Perhaps I'll just have to invest in one of the known working VDSL modem routers.

Expert
0 Ratings

I advise asking to subscribe again and see what happens

Distinguished Guru
0 Ratings

Try channel 475 BT TV Preview. As far as I know there is no entitlement required for that channel so it's a good one to test multicasting.

It also means it can be used to test the multicast stream on a PC using VLC Player rather than on your BT TV box.

See  https://community.bt.com/t5/YouView-Boxes/IPC6023-Advanced-Diagnosis/m-p/1154880/highlight/true#M934...

I would assume that not many people use the HG612 in modem+router mode and fewer still of them sign up to multicast channels. I've no idea whether it can work or not. I use an ECI modem with a HH4 router.

Beginner
0 Ratings

Thanks. VLC doesn't stream from that address so it seems the HG612 isn't passing multicast streams. I'll probably look at getting one of the known working Billion modem routers to replace my current 2 box setup as I'm not going back to the HH5 due to poor signal.

Contributor
0 Ratings

I can also recommend the Asus DSL-AC68U :-) Had it a week and it has been fantastic.

Distinguished Guru
0 Ratings

Is it an option to try the HH5 acting as both modem and router, turn off the wireless, and connect your separate wireless access point device?

The downside is that you can't unlock the HH5 like the HG612, and the HH5 seems less reliable as a VDSL modem. Plenty of complaints about it on the Infinity forum with just the latest being the G.INP issues. Some customers buy an HG612 to solve HH5 modem problems.
Beginner
0 Ratings

The asus is too pricey for me. I don't need ac speeds as everything that streams is wired in my house. At the moment I have a Tenda dual band tomato router in access point mode off the HG612 and get rock solid 72Mbs all over the house and garden on phones/tablets. I'd rather slow and steady rather than great speeds but with holes like the HH5.

I could use the HH5 just as modem router and use a seperate access point, I did some testing before going for the HG612 and used the Tenda along side it. Infact that does seem the simplest solution. I'm just about to cable my mancave in the garden and need a switch out there to run some extra ipcams so I could use my tenda router as AP out there giving me 4 ports and a bit more wifi coverage.

However that does remind me of one of the others reasons i ditched the HH5 and it's probably worthy of another thread but the tenda router was swamped with multicast traffic and would ditch 2.4GHz connections when my youview box was on IPTV channels. Strangely wired and 5GHz devices running off the Tenda were ok but 2.4Gigs devices lost connection and wouldn't reconnect. Multicast options were disabled on the Tenda but there's not much can be done to prevent multicast traffic from hitting it.