Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Aspiring Contributor
Accepted Solution

Has my BT Humax developed a fault?

[ Edited ]

Hi Folks.

Looking for some help here please.  Got my Youview Humax through BT on the 26th October.  It has been a beaut all last week, rock solid picture - I've spent last week telling everyone how good it was.

However,last night a couple of channels were breaking up.  I didn't pay much heed, thought maybe it was the weather.

Channels worse today, got a YVM302 error.  Checked the signal quality menu (which has been as I said 100% for a week and a half) and it is constantly jumping from 10% to 40% to 100%.

If I switch the TV to it's own freeview tuner, it is rock solid, no jumping about (and it is fed from the Humax!).

I have tried a few things this evening and nothing is making it any better.  Tried a channel retune, no. of channels dropped from 118 to 112 - it has lost all of the HD channels from 101-104.

Tried a maintence software reset, nope, still the same.  Tried a maintenance menu factory rest, keep recordings and nope still the same, now 112 channels with rubbish quality.  Nothing has changed in my setup, it has gone from perfection to dreadful.

Has anybdy any ideas, could it just be a hardware fault?

Thanks for any info that will get me from poo-view back to youview!

Aspiring Contributor

Re: Has my BT Humax developed a fault?

Quite possibly.

However, it is worth looking at the signal strength/quality display on the TV.

Just because the TV is working doesn't necessarily mean it (still) has a good signal, it may just be more sensitive than the Humax.

Aspiring Contributor

OK,  I'll check the quality of the TV signal at lunchtime but I'm guessing it will be fine.

Only because of the marked difference between one day and the next on the Humax - rock solid to unusable in less than 24 hours.  My Infinity is fine so I'll be able to watch last night's tv tonight on the Humax just fine! :smileyhappy:

Hi, I also got a new BT Humax YouView box.  The first week was fine, but over the last 3 days, I am also getting the YVM302 error message, but even worse, I cannot watch anything through any "on demand" programmes.  HELP!

Aspiring Contributor

[ Edited ]

OK, I have a bit of an update to add.

I lent the box to my friend to test as he lives in an area with a much stronger signal.  I need to know it is the box that is at fault as BT said an engineer would charge £99 if it proved to be my equipment rather than the box. As my signal is rubbish without the booster, I thought a pure aerial connection would make a better test.

The box also worked fine for him for one night but last night it started to have the quality jump from 10 to 100 constantly.

He said that he then switched it off but he did notice that at the back where the aerial connects was noticeably warmer than you would expect. I also noticed the heat when I disconnected it at my house but thought nothing of it as modern electronics can get warm.

Do you think the tuner overheatng would cause this problem with the signal quality? Can a tuener even overheat?  Why would it overheat?  I'm ruling out a fault with my aerial setup now as it works for for every other freeview device in the house. As does my friend's.

In reference to the person above me also having problems, does your box feel warm at the aerial connection?  Also, my On Demand stuff all works fine, it's just freeview at fault.

Aspiring Contributor

OK,

Just had my box replaced today.

Aspiring Expert

Has this fixed the problem?

Beginner

YouView Acknowledge Problem with Humax boxes

Alas, they knew about it 2 months ago. Not sure why BT released these boxes with a problem. I have just got a credit from BT (over 2 months subscription) but have been told to wait for youview to release an update

Did a replacement box work? Really don't want to loose my settings / recordings :smileysad:

My Humax sounds like yours.  Had three new Youview boxes last year now this one is acting up.  l am fast losing the will to live.   l pays my money and expect a good if not quality service.  When you have regular faults you know the routine, switch-off switch-on, unplug, check settings,  blah blah. so get very annoyed when l ring up and am treated like an idiot and then told there will be a charge if an engineer comes to my home and tells me there is nothing wrong.  Cannot get an engineer out unless agree to said charge.