Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Beginner
0 Ratings

Re: IPC6023 #2

My setup is
Internet to bt home hub 5 then ethernet cable to netgear router the ethernet to talktalk power adaptors then other end talltalk to tLink router to youview box.
Hope this helps. Many thanks so far
Aspiring Expert
0 Ratings

mattswain24 wrote:
My setup is
Internet to bt home hub 5 then ethernet cable to netgear router the ethernet to talktalk power adaptors then other end talltalk to tLink router to youview box.

If you look at other posts on this forum regarding this problem I think you'll find that the HH5 is a common theme.

Distinguished Sage
0 Ratings

[ Edited ]

mattswain24 wrote:
My setup is

I am not surprised at all that it does not work, apart from the online players, which do not use multicast.

See https://community.bt.com/t5/YouView-Boxes/BT-TV-Channels-pixellating-and-stuttering/m-p/1698537#M330...

Just run it direct using a cable, or via the BT approved Mini Connectors.

Forget the Netgear router as the Ethernet ports are not going to pass the multicast stream. Even the TT powerline adapters may also have problems. As for the TT router, I can see problems there as well.

As I said, a router is not a suitable substitute for a proper Ethernet switch, as they are designed to route from the WAN side to the LAN side.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Forumhelp (Private website) Lots of additional information for BT Residential Broadband connections only.

Aspiring Expert
0 Ratings

Keith_Beddoe wrote:

mattswain24 wrote:
My setup is

I am not surprised at all that it does not work, apart from the online players, which do not use multicast.

See https://community.bt.com/t5/YouView-Boxes/BT-TV-Channels-pixellating-and-stuttering/m-p/1698537#M330...

Just run it direct using a cable, or via the BT approved Mini Connectors.

Forget the Netgear router as the Ethernet ports are not going to pass the multicast stream. Even the TT powerline adapters may also have problems. As for the TT router, I can see problems there as well.

As I said, a router is not a suitable substitute for a proper Ethernet switch, as they are designed to route from the WAN side to the LAN side.

My initial response was the same as Keiths but then I thought perhaps there is a confusion in terminology here. Not knowing how technical you are, apart from the HH5 do any of the routers you are using have internet capability or are they just local network switches? 

Distinguished Sage
0 Ratings

My guess is that @mattswain24 is just using them as Ethernet switches, as they were spare, and did not involve spending any extra money. This seems to be a common thing people try, despite the fact that they are not designed for that purpose. These were probably left over from another ISP, and would be best taken for recycling.

I think a network re-design is needed, using elements that are designed for the task.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Forumhelp (Private website) Lots of additional information for BT Residential Broadband connections only.

Aspiring Expert
0 Ratings

Keith_Beddoe wrote:

My guess is that @mattswain24 is just using them as Ethernet switches, as they were spare, and did not involve spending any extra money. This seems to be a common thing people try, despite the fact that they are not designed for that purpose. These were probably left over from another ISP, and would be best taken for recycling.

I think a network re-design is needed, using elements that are designed for the task.

My own thinking exactly. If he is using old ISP routers then replacing them with network switches such as the one I'm using, of course there are others that would work equally as well, should greatly improve things.

Beginner
0 Ratings

These routers are all fairly new and as i live in an old house with very thick walls need these routers fir the wifi around the house. The only area that my need replacing in the power adaptors. Do you think this will solve tge problem?
Distinguished Sage
0 Ratings

[ Edited ]

Routers are not what you needed, and are not intended for that purpose, they are designed to be used to connect directly to a broadband line or modem.

To improve wireless coverage you should use either Wireless Access Points, or use something like these.

https://www.shop.bt.com/products/bt-mini-wi-fi-home-hotspot-600-multi-kit-084289-BVFH.html

Which are specifically designed to do what you want.

They are cheaper from places like Amazon.

You cannot use them with your existing powerline adapters.

Beginner
0 Ratings

Would love to use these but my power is on 2 difference rind mains.
Distinguished Sage
0 Ratings

mattswain24 wrote:
Would love to use these but my power is on 2 difference rind mains.

Provided they all originate from the same consumer unit, they will work just fine.

They do not have to be on the same ring main.