Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Highlighted
Contributor
0 Ratings
Accepted Solution

New BT YouView Major Software Upgrade

Does anyone know if the YouTube App will be added to the available apps within the new YouView box software?
BT TV Expert
0 Ratings

Re: New BT YouView Major Software Upgrade

Hi @duxies unfortunately that is not a question we can answer. We as BT are using the Youview box to broadcast our service any related apps or players are part of Youview service and we have no idea what apps are in future development.

BT TV ExpertGemma_P
Did you get the help you needed?
Help others by clicking on ‘Mark as accepted solution’
Show your appreciation!
Click on the star next to a reply to say thanks
Help guide to using the community? Click below
Kudos”
I am a BT Employee and an expert on TV queries. I am here volunteering my own time to give advice, and help where I can with BTTV queries. Go here for more info.
Aspiring Contributor

Gemma_P wrote:

Hi @duxies unfortunately that is not a question we can answer. We as BT are using the Youview box to broadcast our service any related apps or players are part of Youview service and we have no idea what apps are in future development.

BT sell the Youview box under the BT brand complete with BT logo, but you're saying that BT don't know what they're offering under their name. On reflection, that sounds about par for the course when it comes to BT Tech.......
Contributor
0 Ratings

[ Edited ]

IanRJ wrote:

Gemma_P wrote:

BT sell the Youview box under the BT brand complete with BT logo, but you're saying that BT don't know what they're offering under their name. On reflection, that sounds about par for the course when it comes to BT Tech.......

Read it again. Gemma wrote that she didnt know what apps are in future development. 

Recognised Expert
0 Ratings

If they did know, they are also unlikely to be able to say. Youview have traditionally only ever discussed new functionality / players when they are ready to be released due to legal Non Disclosure Agreements. Youview also do not make the players. It will be the responsibility of Youtube to pay the relevant fees and make their App available on Youview.

Aspiring Contributor
0 Ratings

OK, so perhaps I was a little too critical. I accept that there may be disclosure restrictions. It does make me wonder just how involved BT are in the development. BT must surely be one of Youviews largest resellers, so I would expect them to have input to the functionality of the equipment, not just rebadge them and sell them on.

drhowells wrote:

If they did know, they are also unlikely to be able to say. Youview have traditionally only ever discussed new functionality / players when they are ready to be released due to legal Non Disclosure Agreements. Youview also do not make the players. It will be the responsibility of Youtube to pay the relevant fees and make their App available on Youview.

Recognised Expert
0 Ratings

IanRJ wrote:

OK, so perhaps I was a little too critical. I accept that there may be disclosure restrictions. It does make me wonder just how involved BT are in the development. BT must surely be one of Youviews largest resellers, so I would expect them to have input to the functionality of the equipment, not just rebadge them and sell them on.

drhowells wrote:

BT own a stake in YouView and they were trying to get full ownership at the end of last year. So, yes they do have input into the development, but they will also be under a legal obligation not to talk about things.

Recognised Expert
0 Ratings

I meant to say, in response to the original poster. The main reason for the new upgrade to Youview is to make it easier for changes to occur. There is certainly an increased chance of new providers like YouTube coming on board once the upgrade has been fully rolled out.