Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Aspiring Expert
0 Ratings

Re: Next generation YouView feedback discussion

chrisdw wrote:

andy_m1 wrote:

Also a direct button press on the remote to go straight to "My TV" would be nice.

Yep, on a Sky remote pressing the Play button takes you to your recordings, so a similar thing would be handy.

I'd also like the option to either hide channels (as already said) or set filters as default e.g. the HD and Ultra HD one. I never, ever watch SD channels so the less prominent they are, the better.

Or if you take our household as an example we only ever watch SD channels.  Sit further away from the TV and you'll never see any difference. Smiley Happy

Aspiring Expert
0 Ratings

It has been well documented that on the Youview boxes, to get the old style BBC Text, go to a BBC radio station. From there the 'text' button on the remote will take you in and out of the service. It is only the radio stations that allows access to good old 'teletext'.

On my tv, not the Youview box, I can still access the old style text service from BBC tv stations using the tv remotes 'text' button, as I can also do with a Freesat box and its rermote.

Aspiring Expert
0 Ratings

MadRob wrote:

It has been well documented that on the Youview boxes, to get the old style BBC Text, go to a BBC radio station. From there the 'text' button on the remote will take you in and out of the service. It is only the radio stations that allows access to good old 'teletext'. . . .

But that's a flaw in the YouView design.  Loads of other freeview receivers allow you to review the sports results by text while listening to a live BBC programme and looking at the miniview on the lhs.  YouView just got it wrong last year and some of us believed they would fix it with Next Gen.  They didn't

Aspiring Expert
0 Ratings

Jim-lad wrote:

Stevek1311 wrote:

Jim-lad wrote:

Stevek1311 wrote:

Two more

- restore the Text function that was deleted without warning or sensible reason sometime in late 2016

- have updates that work on DTRT-1000 boxes as strangely these now seem to be being left out: YouView updates rollouts

You need to be having a conversation with BT regarding a new box.  The can't keep updating old tech forever. . .

Surely in this case it's can't keep degrading old tech forever ;-)

My point stands.  A responsible supplier would restore removed functionality for all customers with those boxes not just those that frequent forums.  I care little how BT/YouView do it but I suspect their accountants don't like the option you suggest.

I've provided you with a clear example where a company doesn't extend it's updates to all hardware i.e. Microsoft.  I have the creators update and so have millions of other users, but those with an Atom CPU won't be getting it.   I'm not sure where those who frequent forums fits in with all this.

Not a fair example at all.  Did Microsoft unilaterally remove functionality from Atom CPU machines?  No.  Did BT/Youview unilaterally remove functionality from YouView recorders?  Yes.   And that degrading of user equipment remains the core issue with the Next Gen fiasco.

Aspiring Expert
0 Ratings

Plenty of info here re red button/teletext https://www.live.bbc.co.uk/corporate2/insidethebbc/whatwedo/redbuttonfaq

The first question gives the answer loud and clear

"Of course, not everyone has a connected TV and the standard Red Button service is still very much alive and kicking and available from the majority of digital televisions without an internet connection. No changes there.

And you can access both services just by pressing the red button on a TV remote control from any BBC TV channel "

That would explain why I get the standard text service on my Freesat box as I don't have it connected to the internet.

So basically it was a BBC decision and is the reason I feel it will eventually be pushed on all platforms, especially as they've already said recently that they are looking at 'ordinary' teletext being fully superceded by the Connected Red Button service.

I for one love the old style teletext as I know the page numbers I go to on a daily basis and will miss that when it does eventually disappear. I suppose this time it's fair to say that Youview are actually ahead of the game, no matter how much I'd prefer good old 'type in a number teletext'.

Aspiring Expert
0 Ratings

Stevek1311 wrote:

Jim-lad wrote:

Stevek1311 wrote:

Jim-lad wrote:

Stevek1311 wrote:

Two more

- restore the Text function that was deleted without warning or sensible reason sometime in late 2016

- have updates that work on DTRT-1000 boxes as strangely these now seem to be being left out: YouView updates rollouts

You need to be having a conversation with BT regarding a new box.  The can't keep updating old tech forever. . .

Surely in this case it's can't keep degrading old tech forever ;-)

My point stands.  A responsible supplier would restore removed functionality for all customers with those boxes not just those that frequent forums.  I care little how BT/YouView do it but I suspect their accountants don't like the option you suggest.

I've provided you with a clear example where a company doesn't extend it's updates to all hardware i.e. Microsoft.  I have the creators update and so have millions of other users, but those with an Atom CPU won't be getting it.   I'm not sure where those who frequent forums fits in with all this.

Not a fair example at all.  Did Microsoft unilaterally remove functionality from Atom CPU machines?  No.  Did BT/Youview unilaterally remove functionality from YouView recorders?  Yes.   And that degrading of user equipment remains the core issue with the Next Gen fiasco.

You appear to have a bee in your bonnet about BT/Youview for some reason.  The new UI is now pretty decent, or will be when we get the time bar back.

What is this text issue you are talking about.  I haven't got the first clue, but as I also have a Freesat box perhaps you could advise what it is you seem to think is missing from Youview then I can advise.

As regards the Microsoft issue.  Those with Atom CPUs will not benefit from the 'new' features being added to Windows 10.

Aspiring Expert
0 Ratings

Jim-lad wrote:

You appear to have a bee in your bonnet about BT/Youview for some reason.  The new UI is now pretty decent, or will be when we get the time bar back.

What is this text issue you are talking about.  I haven't got the first clue, but as I also have a Freesat box perhaps you could advise what it is you seem to think is missing from Youview then I can advise.

As regards the Microsoft issue.  Those with Atom CPUs will not benefit from the 'new' features being added to Windows 10.

Well first there is a big difference between degrading customers equipment they had paid for and denying them further enhancements they had no entitlement to.  So BT/YouView did the former and overnight my DTRT-1000 became almost useless to me.  And have we seen a public apology?  No.  Have we seen a public promise to fix this?  No and have we see DTRT-1000 BT boxes receiving ANY fixes?  No .   If pointing out that fiasco for what it is means I'm going to be called 'having a bee in my bonnet' then so be it.  I was on the verge of suing them (yes I can afford it) when the phone rang biut on that I can say no more.

Text works fine on all my other FreeView receivers but not to my YouView box.  The Red button text service is nothing like as good.  So for those of us that route the YouView box signal to other TVs in the house that do not have FreeView capability then it was removal of a function we used

Could it be YouView were running out of processing resources so decided they'd cut something they thought people wouldn't notice.

Distinguished Guru
0 Ratings

[ Edited ]

The text  change was introduced last summer so predates the introduction of Next Gen Youview.

0 Ratings

Hi Everyone,

I just wanted to acknowledge the discussion around the DTR1000.  We’re currently working to make sure the software deployed has the right level of improvements and performance for customers but there may be a delay before the BT T1000 customers are updated. We’ll let you know when the next upgrade is available.

Cheers

PaddyB

Community ModeratorPaddyB
Did you get the help you needed?
Help others by clicking on ‘Mark as accepted solution’
Show your appreciation!
Click on the star next to a reply to say thanks
Help guide to using the community? Click below
Kudos”
Make sure you are logged into the forum otherwise you will not see our contact link when a moderator offers help. When sending us your details please don’t send a Private message (PM), we can’t deal with account/service issues via PM so please use the contact link. Thank You
Aspiring Expert
0 Ratings

Stevek1311 wrote:

Jim-lad wrote:

Well first there is a big difference between degrading customers equipment they had paid for and denying them further enhancements they had no entitlement to.  So BT/YouView did the former and overnight my DTRT-1000 became almost useless to me.  And have we seen a public apology?  No.  Have we seen a public promise to fix this?  No and have we see DTRT-1000 BT boxes receiving ANY fixes?  No .   If pointing out that fiasco for what it is means I'm going to be called 'having a bee in my bonnet' then so be it.  I was on the verge of suing them (yes I can afford it) when the phone rang biut on that I can say no more.

Text works fine on all my other FreeView receivers but not to my YouView box.  The Red button text service is nothing like as good.  So for those of us that route the YouView box signal to other TVs in the house that do not have FreeView capability then it was removal of a function we used

Could it be YouView were running out of processing resources so decided they'd cut something they thought people wouldn't notice.

Well I wish you luck with suing them.  However, I would have a look at a couple of legal authorities on this subject.  There was a couple of test cases and legal advice regarding a few consumers who tried to sue a box manufacturer and Freeview when their boxes become 'bricks' after further updates to the Freeview platform a couple of years ago.

To sum the judgment up into a very concise conclusion - tough.