Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Highlighted
Beginner
0 Ratings
Accepted Solution

Poor quality when recording internet channel and streaming at same time

Really frustrated having come from Sky+ that with superb broadband speed (58 mbps) to the plug-in adapter for our Ultra HD You View box that we don't seem to be able to record a HD (not 4K) channel and watch a second internet channel or watch Netflix at the same time..

Bandwidth is surely more than adequate, is there a trick I'm missing?

Router is a BT home hub 6 ( I think) - I expected settings to be optimised for BT TV out of the box!

Netflix player on the box says connection speed of ~9.3mbps at the best of times
Expert
0 Ratings

Re: Poor quality when recording internet channel and streaming at same time

JonGD wrote:
Really frustrated having come from Sky+ that with superb broadband speed (58 mbps) to the plug-in adapter for our Ultra HD You View box that we don't seem to be able to record a HD (not 4K) channel and watch a second internet channel or watch Netflix at the same time..

Bandwidth is surely more than adequate, is there a trick I'm missing?

Router is a BT home hub 6 ( I think) - I expected settings to be optimised for BT TV out of the box!

Netflix player on the box says connection speed of ~9.3mbps at the best of times

How is your YouView box connected to the HomeHub - are you using the supplied cable or homeplugs instead? If the latter which model homeplugs are you using?

Beginner
0 Ratings

Thanks for the reply - we're using the BT supplied mini connectors.
Expert

JonGD wrote:
Thanks for the reply - we're using the BT supplied mini connectors.

All of these powerline adaptors, including the BT Mini Connectors, really depend on how the wiring in your house is laid out. They can work really well for some but not for others.

Btw - when you are trying to use your YouView box as described is anybody else in your home also using the internet a lot on laptops/phones/smart tvs/etc.? Just in case that's the issue.

To identify if it is a powerline issue can you temporarily run the supplied long ethernet connection between YouView box and HomeHub instead and see if your issue is resolved.

Failing that it's probably worth checking what speed you are actually receiving by connecting a laptop to the HomeHub and going to http://speedtest.btwholesale.com/ and following the test instructions to see what it reports.

Beginner
0 Ratings

From your response I guess it is possible to stream two HD channels at the same time which is a good start!

Our house is early 90's vintage, so unlikely to be an aged cabling issue and I've checked the line speed at the end of the powerline by the you view box and I am seeing 50+mbps.

I'll try a direct connection to the hub and work from there...
Beginner
0 Ratings

Okay, old thread resurrection but issue still persists bur now a problem again!

Moved to a cabled connection and worked fine, but have rearranged to lounge and now means cable is in the way.

Mini connectors support multicast from the hall to the box upstairs (even plugged at the wrong end of an extension lead) and when both in same double socket in the hall downstairs but not when plugged in to either of two sockets in the lounge. Data and Ethernet lights both blue, one channel at a time fine in HD, just multicast that is the issue.

Any suggestions gratefully received!!
Beginner
0 Ratings

Now very embarrassed.

Just experimented with a long cable in different sockets round the downstairs and it worked in all. So tried the sockets I've had issues with. Worked fine. Guess which **bleep** didn't check the (BT supplied) cable... Rang BT earlier in the week and they detected an issue and sent new mini connectors.

If you hear of a husband murdered over a cable in their first that could be me!!