Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Beginner
0 Ratings

Possible death of one of the BT extender flex 500 plugs

Checked all cables, looked on router log (been using TP-link AC1900 router/modem for around 6 months with no issues) but can't see the BT TV hub (HUMAX, I think it was listed as).
Had a look at the main extender to back of the router and there wasn't a power button light. Turned it off and on again and still no power light.
Held the link button and still no lights displayed; yet the other one from the wall to the BT YouView box shows a powerlight when turned off and on again, then goes on to standby after a while (no lights).

I'm guessing the main one to the router is now dead (?), however, it's still passing power through it to the extender block I've got PCs, printers and the router connected to.

I see that BT has now discontinued the BT Extender Flex 500 kit but can pick them up 'used' for around £20 off ebay.
Is it worth chancing a 'used' kit to see if that's the problem?
Or is there better on the market or a better third party extender that's simple to connect to get the connection for the BT TV channels?

I'm really happy with the current TP-Link router/modem; just worried about over complicating the home set up as I'm fairly novice and didn't fancy using the original BT router/modem hub kit (an ex of mine had previously worked for BT temporarily and didn't like that they used Huawei (but that's going back 8 years ago).

Any advice most welcome. :-)
Aspiring Contributor
0 Ratings

Re: Possible death of one of the BT extender flex 500 plugs

I had internittent problems with 2 types of extenders which culminated in one failing completely while both types often indicatied low speed when the speed at the hub was good.

The latest ones I was sent were the 'BT miniconnector Kit' which have been absolutely rock solid.

Beginner
0 Ratings

That's good to know, might take a look for those on their shop site.
Cheers tramdev
0 Ratings

TaiChi - likewise, after a couple of years of troublefree use my BT Broadband Extender 500 Flex has suddenly given up the ghost (router end of the setup, not the one connected to the YouView TV box). 

How did you find the miniconneter receommended by Tramdev? Reliable?

Thanks