Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Beginner
0 Ratings
Accepted Solution

Running youview box via wifi extender

Hello,

quick query.

i have new bt smart hub, a youview box and am having fibre installed in a couple of weeks. Once I do, I'm after ordering a second box.  The main thing for is to watch bt sport.

so, I'm thinking about running the signal from the box (for broadband provided viewing - there is an aerial point next to the tv) .  Initially I was going to purchase a home plug and link to existing Ethernet. However, the new box will be on a different electric circuit as it will be in a new extension to the house.

my second thought is to use a wifi extender. I already have a bt 610 extender which has an Ethernet port in the top.  I've already linked this to the hub and works well at picking up the wifi signal where the new box will be.

so, the question is, can I plug the youview box into this via Ethernet and will it work?

if not, what are my options on getting the broadband delivered viewings 

thanks 

Distinguished Sage

Re: Running youview box via wifi extender

It will not work over wifi, however there is a good chance that the approved BT extenders will work in the extension, provided it all originates at the same consumer unit.

BT only approve the mini connectors, which are available at a discounted rate of £20, at the time the BT YouView order is placed, or if you are an existing BT YouView customer.

See http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/57213

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Forumhelp (Private website) Lots of additional information for BT Residential Broadband connections only.

Beginner
0 Ratings

Brilliant, thanks very much.

yes, they are on the same consumer unit, just different circuits running off different fuses. 

A second question leading from this if you don't mind.  I will need three plug in extenders, one for each of the boxes.  Will I (can I?) order three or alternatively, can I link one of my original black 500 extenders to the new mini hubs? 

Thank you 

Distinguished Sage
0 Ratings

Normally BT only supply a pair, but it is possible to get another one elsewhere.

What do you mean by three boxes, BT Multiroom allows only two YouView boxes?

The mini connectors are probably not compatible with the original black 500 extenders.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Forumhelp (Private website) Lots of additional information for BT Residential Broadband connections only.

Beginner
0 Ratings

Sorry, what I meant was one for each of the two boxes and one for plugging into the router

Distinguished Sage
0 Ratings

Zorro1 wrote:

Sorry, what I meant was one for each of the two boxes and one for plugging into the router

You could always ask, as you are paying extra for multiroom. Otherwise you would have to buy a single extra one yourself.

Contributor
0 Ratings

I use the bt wifi extenders on both of my bt boxes and all the channels work fine
Contributor
0 Ratings

So that comment above stating that it does not work over wifi is incorrect.
Contributor

I use the BT 11ac Dual-Band Wi-Fi Extender 1200
Distinguished Sage
0 Ratings

[ Edited ]

Kimbrich6 wrote:
So that comment above stating that it does not work over wifi is incorrect.

You cannot transmit multicast over a wireless link. Other content and the online players will work fine, but the home hub only provides multicast streams on the Ethernet ports.

Multicast is used for BT Sport, and the extra subscribed channels.