Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Aspiring Contributor
0 Ratings

Unable to receive ‘Extra’ channels on UHD box via powerline adaptors.

I’m hoping someone more technical than me (and also the technical teams at BT) can please help and explain why I am unable to receive the extra channels- National Geographic, Syfy, Discovery etc that are transmitted via the internet.

I received my UHD box on 3 Jan and despite numerous calls to BT technical teams and faults being raised (and closed as fixed without checking with me if it was) I have never been able to receive these channels via my powerline adaptors I just get a blank screen and a IPC6023 error message. I’ve even had an engineer visit arranged by BT who could not see any problem with my set up. He escalalted it to a technical team whilst he was here, who identified a data mismatch at BT’s end apparently and would be remedied once corrected within 48 hours- this didn’t work.

I have a Homehub 5 router, in MyView settings show connected to the Internet, I can access all the online players- BBC iPlayer, BT Player etc, and the Broadband Speed Checker within the BT Player states my speed is currently fast enough for both HD and Ultra HD viewing, so I am at a loss why the Complaints team are now telling me that my box can only receive these channels when connected directly to my router via the Ethernet cables provided- which indeed I can when I do this as a temporary solution to test it, but as they are at the opposite end of the house to each other I don’t particularly want to take up my floor tiles in the hall etc to connect to my router this way permanently, hence the reason why we buy powerline adaptors.

When I point out that in all their literature, online help etc the only mention of it having to be hard wired is to receive the Ultra HD, not normal HD. (I do not have a UHD enabled TV so not too bothered about this aspect I just want the channels and in HD depending on the channel), and the engineer and the technical teams my case has been escalated to have never mentioned this either, so am at a total loss how they can insist that this is the case as the only resolution.

Sorry for the long post just wanted to ensure I've hopefully provided enough details. Any explanation will be appreciated.

0 Ratings

Re: Unable to receive ‘Extra’ channels on UHD box via powerline adaptors.

Hi @Houghty and welcome.

I'm sorry you're having problems with the IPC6023 error message. You've mentioned connecting directly to the box using ethernet doesn't have the error message. The problem might be with your internal wiring as the adaptors use that to connect. Do you have separate fuse boxes or extension wiring?

Cheers

David

Community ModeratorDavidM
Did you get the help you needed?
Help others by clicking on ‘Mark as accepted solution’
Show your appreciation!
Click on the star next to a reply to say thanks
Help guide to using the community? Click below
Kudos”
Make sure you are logged into the forum otherwise you will not see our contact link when a moderator offers help. When sending us your details please don’t send a Private message (PM), we can’t deal with account/service issues via PM so please use the contact link. Thank You
Aspiring Contributor
0 Ratings

Hi David, we just have the one fuse box (modern type with RCD's) which is next to socket the router and powerline are plugged into. I hope that's what you meant.
Thanks
Paul
Recognised Expert
0 Ratings

What powerline adapters are you using? It appears that some older ones aren't successful in transmitting multicast transmissions.

Aspiring Contributor
0 Ratings

I'm using TP Link Powerlines approx 3-4 years old. I had discounted these being a problem as never had a problem downloading a range of content through them in the past and can get into all the online players and apps and the BT player no problem on the YouView box, which as I mentioned also states that my Network connection was good enough for both HD (and UHD which I don't need) when I checked it in settings.

Thanks

Paul

Highlighted
Recognised Expert
0 Ratings

Your line speed has no relation to the Multicast capability of your PLAs, what's the model number please as we need to check compatibility?
Aspiring Contributor
0 Ratings

Morning, they are AV200, model TL-PA210.

Thanks
Paul
Aspiring Contributor
0 Ratings

Is anyone able check if my PLA's are compatible with multicast please, so if not I can get some?

If I re-boot the box I can sometimes get the channels for a very short period before they drop of but this varies, so thought in the past they were okay, hence why I discounted them being the problem in the past- possibly incorrectly. 

Thanks for any assistance

Paul

Aspiring Contributor
0 Ratings

Just an update if anyone's still willing to help- I connected back thru my power lines today and worked for approx 12 hours before losing the signal. I have also checked the spec of my powerlines and states 'IGMP managed multicast IP transmission, optimizes IPTV streaming' so I'm still confused as to what the problem is.
Aspiring Contributor
0 Ratings

Hi @Houghty . I use TPLink PA511 (AV500) PLA on my Youview UHD box (DTR4000) and all extra channels work fine for me, never had any problems like you're experiencing. UHD channel works fine too. Unsure what could be causing your problem, just thought I'd mention the PA511 works. It has up to 500mbps and 1GB Ethernet other than that it may not be much different to your PLA.