20-11-2013 18h25 - edited 20-11-2013 18h30
• What options do existing customers (BT Infinity) have to upgrade to a YouView service/box? I don't want to be stung on 'Activation' fees.
It appears to be the 'Essential' package (£5 a month).
• I don't really want to buy the player, and I don't want to pay a £35 activation fee. I believe the YV box comes for free as part of the package. If the fee is £5 a month - that's a pretty cost-effective way to buy it (it's around £180 new for the T1000*)
Some other questions:
• I presume BT are supplying the Humax DTR-T1000 (500GB model) box, rather than the silver T1010. I think the T1010 is the same player but just with a silver case.
• Do BT (eg the firmware on the player) 'lock down' the Humax in any way? For instance, would the T1000 box you buy on its own be 'freer' than the one BT provide? Would the firmware updates via BT be slower than the ones you'd get if you bought the box on it's own (ie not via BT, from Amazon)?
Thanks for any replies - much appreciated.
*does this turn into liquid metal and run after Linda Hamilton?
on 21-11-2013 9h53
on 22-11-2013 14h24
The fee I'm guessing is to help cover the cost of the box. Given these boxes on the bt shop retail at 200 quid. Then a fiver a month isnt going to cover much of that cost!
on 22-11-2013 15h42
I do sort of agree with you (in terms of the cost of the box) but I don't appreciate an 'Activation fee' especially if (A) I'm an existing and long standing customer or (B) can plug the kit in myself.
From what I can see the term 'Activation fee' is either ambiguous or erroneous (as there’s no ‘activation’)
on 25-11-2013 17h45
I received a refurbished Youview box for £25 last month when I took the £5 a month Essentials pack - mainly to get unlimited TV download capacity on Catchup. So now I have two YV boxes.
on 25-11-2013 20h01
That's interesting. Does this mean you'll get a refurbished box when you go for the Essentials pack?
The T&C on Essential says: "You'll get a YouView box" but no indication you have to pay for the box outside the £5/month.
on 26-11-2013 17h42
I didn't want the box, nor the programmes - it was just the cheapest way to get unlimited TV catchup download. Anything else changed my telephone package. I also picked up extended free 1571 and CLI.
on 28-11-2013 0h31
1. Pay fee
2. Pay up for service you want
3. Yes it us the 500 GB box
4. Yes updates come after those to retail boxes.
BT are supplyng a service if you want it, really you have to pay for it and enjoy it.
If you don't want to pay for the BT service then you have to buy a YouView box for yourself.
Point 4 - recent updates have come to BT boxes before reaching Retail boxes (e.g. Internet Channels and Recording of Internet Channels).