Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Highlighted
Beginner
0 Ratings
Accepted Solution

Youview :- End of contract question

OK my youview is now at end of contract after 3 years or So. I understand that I can keep the box, but unsure if it will still work if I end my contract, as it is now running the latest BT software.

The reasons why we don't need it is that we have never signed up to any BT channels and only use the freeview side.

Thanks for the help
Aspiring Expert
0 Ratings

Re: Youview :- End of contract question

Why were you on a contract if you never signed up to BTTV? 3 years seems an awful long time to be held to a contract! Most contracts are 12 months, or 18 months at best.

Your box belongs to you and will always work on the Freeview channels. You will be able to record the Freeview channels and use the catch up apps. This was always the case as you can buy these boxes retail and simply use as a Freeview pvr.

0 Ratings

Hi @DiscoDaveuk Welcome to the forum and thanks for posting.

You will find all the information you require on Will my YouView or BT Vision+ box from BT work if I decide to leave BT

Cheers

John

Community ModeratorJohnC
Did you get the help you needed?
Help others by clicking on ‘Mark as accepted solution’
Show your appreciation!
Click on the star next to a reply to say thanks
Help guide to using the community? Click below
Kudos”
Make sure you are logged into the forum otherwise you will not see our contact link when a moderator offers help. When sending us your details please don’t send a Private message (PM), we can’t deal with account/service issues via PM so please use the contact link. Thank You
Beginner
0 Ratings

I have read the link and understand, but the post was written sometime ago and Youview has had a major software upgrade recently which seems that the firmware/software is now more BT focused.

So I am now wondering if BT youview software has the ability to only allow youview functionality if you are in contract.

Sorry I am a software engineer and above is easily implemented...lol
0 Ratings

Hi @DiscoDaveuk The software upgrade has made no changes to the functionality of the box if you cancel your subscription and the information in that post remains accurate.

Cheers

John

Community ModeratorJohnC
Did you get the help you needed?
Help others by clicking on ‘Mark as accepted solution’
Show your appreciation!
Click on the star next to a reply to say thanks
Help guide to using the community? Click below
Kudos”
Make sure you are logged into the forum otherwise you will not see our contact link when a moderator offers help. When sending us your details please don’t send a Private message (PM), we can’t deal with account/service issues via PM so please use the contact link. Thank You
Beginner
0 Ratings

Thank you for the info :-)
0 Ratings

I am thinking of changing provider from BT and contacted BT to ask if my YouView box would continue to work. I was rang back by one of their "dedicated team" dealing with potential leavers.  I was told first that the box would not work at all; then, when I specifically pressed about Freeview channels, that it would work on these but no other features would work.  I pressed again about on-demand players like BBC iPlayer and was told these would not work; this was confirmed by the agent's supervisor.  This information is directly contradicted by posts on this forum, like the preceding one on this thread, including a post by BTCare's Community Manager SeanD. I wish I had found these before my conversation. It seems that BT is deliberately misleading potential leavers.

Visitor
0 Ratings

I am not renewing my one year contract. When I called to cancel I was also told that I would not be able to use the record function. If this thread is correct then it does seem BT are trying to mislead their customers.
Aspiring Expert
0 Ratings

@ljcommforum. @Ana4

You have been lied to over the phone.  The information provided on this thread is correct. The only functions you would lose would be anything related to any BTTV subscription services you had. Your box becomes a retail box which will give you access to Freeview, the ability to record those channels, and access to the iplayer etc.