Aspiring Contributor
sd99

What's the point in TV Essentials?

Six months ago I took out Telephone, ADSL Broadband and YouView with BT.

Part of this bill is £5 a month for TV Essentials.  Apart from a subsidised YouView box, what do you get for your fiver?  Is there any point in not cancelling the TV Essentials portion of my subscription after the initial 12 month contract ends?

Will my YouView box continue to function without it?  i.e. Watch + record live tv, BBC/4OD/etc catchup on demand, with regular updates to the box/apps?

Aspiring Expert
sirjamesp

Re: What's the point in TV Essentials?

You won't get access to the BT menu (e.g. "Box Office" pay-pre-view films), and catch-up TV usage will count towards your broadband limit (which only matters if you are not on unlimited broadband, of course).

Aspiring Contributor
sd99

That's ok then - I don't think I've ever used the BT menu and I do have unlimited BB.

I would probably pay the fiver to receive BT Sport etc but I can't do that without fibre anyway - I still have to use that rubbish online player via hdmi output of my laptop.
Aspiring Expert
TimCurtis

The only reason I order Essentials was for the YouView box , but Essentials was free for me for 12 months - it'll then be cancelled.

Contributor
GarethW

As an early adopter my Essentials contract is about to expire, I was expecting something to have changed by now to stop us all cancelling in our droves. Apparently not.
Aspiring Expert
sirjamesp

I'm guessing that the extra channels should be some sort of draw - once you can record them and the reported additional ones come online, of course.

I don't think you can subscribe to the extra channels without the base subscription.
Contributor
duncansby

Unless you have infinity it would appear that the £5 a month for BTessentials is completely pointless.  Disappointed BT haven't done more to entice us - still don't see the harm in a BT sports app in the Youview menu even if you don't have inifinty - I can watch Netflix in HD without any problem over normal broadband