cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 8

2nd box subscription services very week how cab I increase strengh

I have 2 boxes and pay for both boxes to have subscription services my second box only shows pixelated pictures. I do have a tplink plug attached to strengthen the signal but to avail

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 2 of 8

Re: 2nd box subscription services very week how cab I increase strengh

@hoggs3 

Is this pixelation on the freeview channels or the subscription channels?

If it's the freeview channels then there are issues with your aerial feed - go into settings & check the signal condition. Quality should be 100% or thereabouts & signal strength over 80%.

If it's the subscription channels then it's most likely the connection from the 2nd unit to your router.

I'm not sure what you mean by "I do have a tplink plug attached to strengthen the signal but to avail". Is this a pair of TP-Link powerline adapters or something else?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 8

Thanks for your answer you Are correct I do have a pair of tp-link powerline adapters but it has not improved the signal of my subscription services

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 4 of 8

@hoggs3 

There is a TP-Link app you can install on a PC . I believe, that'll tell you what the connection between the 2 adapters is like. Also I think you can change a setting to do with interference handling.

I'll try & find out more for you but can you confirm the actual model number of the units please.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 8

ok will let you know tonight

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 8

hello i have found the powerline plugs the items are listed below

TP-Link AV1200 Gigabit Powerline ethernet Adapter kit, Powerline speeds Up to 1200Mbps (TL-PA8010 KIT)

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 8

It could be powerline interference.

Interference to copper delivered broadband (FTTC)  and ADSL, caused by Powerline Adapters. Not FTTP.

Powerline adapters or broadband extenders work by transmitting radio frequency signals down your mains wiring.

These frequencies start at about 2MHz and extend right up to 30MHz and beyond.

VDSL  also shares part of that frequency range. That means that if any of the signals from the powerline adapters, get into the phone wiring, or the BT Home hub, then they are going to reduce the quality and speed of your broadband connection, as they will interfere with the frequencies used by VDSL. You may see that as a drop in the upstream or downstream noise margin, or a drop in the maximum available speed. This can even affect ADSL under certain conditions, where other mains devices generate lower frequencies, when exposed to the higher frequencies. (Demodulation taking place).

It may even cause your home hub to disconnect, and then attempt to reconnect again. You will see this change on the lights of the home hub, and other devices will also disconnect.

This problem may get worse as the powerline adapters carry more data.

Its important to make sure that none of your phone wiring, including any extension wiring, runs near to your powerline adapters or main wiring.
If possible, plug the home hub into a different socket from the powerline adapter.

They may also have an affect on the download speed of an ADSL2+ connection.

TP Link ones seem to be a major source of problems. See the following threads on the forum.

My Powerline adapters slow down when downstream sync is high!

BT Infinity VDSL worse performance than ADSL

However there is a fix for the TP Link ones which was posted by davejanney, one of our forum members. Thank you.
You need to download this utility TP Link utility

Once you have it open go to the ADVANCED settings for the adaptor that is connected to the router. on the left hand side of the menu is MODE.
Within the mode settings there is an option to LOWER PLC-TO-VDSL INTERFERANCE MODE.

Now it warned me i would see a drop in speed however the change was instant! the speed on Speedtest.net doubled when running through the adaptors, and it is rock solid stable. i downloaded a 1Gb file with any connection drops, before it would have dropped out every 30sec.

See this post on the Plusnet forum Powerline Ethernet - A warning

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 8

many thanks for your answer but the powerline plugs i have are not mention on the app so i can not investigate do you have an answer that would help improve the signal strength   

0 Ratings