Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Bluefathead24
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 17

2nd hand 4k youview box

Hi,

After buying a new 4k TV,  I was thinking about  buying a 4k youview bt box to replace my older bt non 4k youview box.

Seen plenty on Ebay, but  I'm looking for any advice on whether this will just plug and play.... or will it need linking to my bt package . If that's possible. How ?

I have bt sports Inc uhd and now tv packages presently and want to keep them.

Thanks

Chris.

0 Ratings
16 REPLIES 16
NigelB72
Recognised Expert
Message 2 of 17

Re: 2nd hand 4k youview box

I believe that once you connect the box to your internet it will sync with the BT servers to check the account status and should pull through all the relevant information a d you should be good to go. You won't get BT Sport Ultimate though unless you already subscribe to it through BT TV... 

0 Ratings
Bluefathead24
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 17

Thanks for the reply... I'll give it a go.

Plug it in  and update software etc. See how it goes.

👍

0 Ratings
DarrenDev
BT Sport Expert
Message 4 of 17

Confused how you have BT Sport including UHD and Now TV but don't have a 4k box? Are you paying for Now TV and BT Sport separately? If they were together as part of a single BT TV subscription, you should have been provided with a 4k box as standard.
0 Ratings
Bluefathead24
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 17

I've an older bt youview box and last week upgraded TV package to VIP package which includes bt sport uhd.

Got a new router from bt but wasn't offered a 4k box and it was only later I started to think about the box.

Wish I'd asked about a new  ox when I was sorting the new TV package now....

0 Ratings
DarrenDev
BT Sport Expert
Message 6 of 17

It's possible that we have a shortage of boxes again then, as it would previously have been automatic to send out a 4k box with the UHD subscription. I'll check with the product team.
garybs29
Recognised Expert
Message 7 of 17

It may also be the bb speed as well meaning they can't offer 4k channel, what was you estimated ranged & stay fast guarantee?

0 Ratings
Bluefathead24
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 17

Estimated bb speed is 25-28 Mbps and stay fast guarantee speed is 23 Mbps.

On Halo 2 bb.

Just a thought... on the VIP TV package, the sky sports channels are via Now TV. Is the BT Sport uhd channel via Now TV also ? . If so, it may explain why I wasnt offered a 4k box.

Its tricky to tell on the bt site,  if BT Sport UHD is from bt or via Now TV.

Thanks for all help so far !

0 Ratings
garybs29
Recognised Expert
Message 9 of 17

The speed range is likely why you never got a 4k box, due to the method of delivery it needs a minimum speed of 44 if I remember correctly so even if you have a 4k box you won't get bt sport in 4k

0 Ratings
DarrenDev
BT Sport Expert
Message 10 of 17

That's a good point @garybs29 - it wasn't previously possible to even order the UHD package if the broadband speed wasn't fast enough for the multicast channel. I don't know if the rules have now changed, given that the BT Sport apps offer up to 4k with a lower speed requirement.
0 Ratings