cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
stereohaven
Recognised Expert
Message 11 of 17

Re: 2nd hand 4k youview box

As I understood it, the minimum threshold was 44Mbps for the "stay fast number" to enable you to have enough bandwidth to watch BT Sport Ultimate, record another streamed channel (or watch it on an extra box) and have some bandwidth left to play with for doing basic web based activities, all at the same time.

My line maxed out at 45 - 46Mbps, but because the guaranteed number was 32, I could never get BT Sport Ultimate through the YouView box. I did watch it through the app though in 4K HDR without issue.

If you get a 2nd hand one in the short term then a couple of pointers:

The newer versions of the 4K YouView DTR-T4000 with the latest BT logo on the front have a 500GB hard drive, whereas the older version (old BT logo), could have either a 500GB or 1TB hard drive. Both perform the same, just different storage levels.

New logoNew logoOld logoOld logo

Lastly, the first time you plug in a new box you may get a message stating you have "too many boxes on your broadband". This is OK, just answer the questions so that BT know this new box is now your main box you will be using.

Edited to add: I'm pretty sure there is a thread on here somewhere confirming the 4K version of the box is the only box now and is provided to all new customers if they have stock. Perhaps they didn't have stock and all they could have sent you is a new version of the DTR-T2000 which you already have, so didn't?

0 Ratings
zulu17
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 12 of 17

my Thoughts.

In the legacy system past BT had specific packages that included the 4K UHD sport TV channel and part of  the eligibility criteria was minimum broadband speed . With the new range of packages  there is now a HD&4k addon if the minimum broadband speed is achievable or a HD addon if not.

So I would expect that the VIP package would have either the HD &4k addon established IF the minimum broadband speed is achievable or the HD addon if not.

As a premium package the VIP would have BT Sport Ultimate included on the BT Sport App again broadband speed could prove a limiting factor in the maximium quality achievable.

I would have thought the T4000 box would normally be supplied to those on VIP package s that even if they are not able to receive the BT TV 4K sport channel they could access 4K content on the apps eg Prime Video , Netflix etc.... although again broadband speed although a lower minimum than the BT TV 4K sport channel is required  may limit that being available.

0 Ratings
DarrenDev
BT Sport Expert
Message 13 of 17

Confirmed with the product team that there is NO shortage of the 4k boxes at the moment.
If you're subscribed to UHD and your broadband is fast enough for it, you should have a 4k box.
0 Ratings
Bluefathead24
Aspiring Contributor
Message 14 of 17

Thanks Darren.

Any idea of the best way to contact the right people at BT ?

Also, is it possible that I wasn't supplied a 4k box because they don't think my BB speed is up to uhd requirements ?

Am able to watch 4k stuff no problem through on Smart TV apps.. Netflix, Prime YouTube etc.

Chris 

0 Ratings
TimCurtis
Recognised Expert
Message 15 of 17

@Bluefathead24 

I've monitored my download speed when watching UHD transmissions from BBC iPlayer and HD BT Sport transmissions.

The BT multicast transmissions use the bandwidth constantly there being very little , if any , variation whereas other source the bandwidth requirement fluctuates constantly and is generally very much lower. That would certainly explain why you have no issue with Netflix etc.

0 Ratings
DarrenDev
BT Sport Expert
Message 16 of 17

The BT subscription channels are delivered over multicast - a fixed rate video stream that is delivered over a dedicated pipe across the BT broadband network. You either have enough bandwidth or you don't - no grey area.

Other services are delivered "over the top" (OTT) using ABR - it adjusts every few seconds according to current line conditions, and lowers quality where needed.
0 Ratings
Bluefathead24
Aspiring Contributor
Message 17 of 17

Thanks for all the info fellas.

I've plugged in my Ebay bought 4k box and after a few software updates, all is working fine.

BT Sport Ultimate has now appeared  in my channels list... when I click on it, it says checking account details  and then suggests I call the 0800 800 150 number to order the new package. 

As this was part of the VIP package I am on, as has been said, I assume my bb speed may not be up to it ?

I'll ring up in the next few days.

Thanks again.

0 Ratings