Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
weesteev
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 12

4K and HD services unusable

Go to solution

Hi Guys

Really need some advice or support here, at my wits end with this TV service now. Never been able to watch either HD or 4K services since it was installed, constant picture break ups and error IPC6023. Equipment and setup detailed below...

Infinity 2 - Solid 80/20 connection - Connection has fluctuated a bit in the past few days to 79/15.

Originally using HH6 but shifted to Netgear D7000 Nighthawk (tried 3 different firmware settings now). Same problem with both routers.

Currently using TP Link AV500 powerline adapters, solid 220Mbps connection and all other devices that use this network never have an issue, have tried direct connect to router but not practical due to router being on other side of house, same problem even when direct connect with Ethernet.

Really not sure what Elise to try here, have never been able to use either HD or 4K services for my subscription channels (broadcast works fine), any help you guys can give me would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

0 Ratings
11 REPLIES 11
gibbylinks
Aspiring Expert
Message 2 of 12

Re: 4K and HD services unusable

Go to solution

Hi, is it HD channels or internet subscription channels?

The 4k channel is streamed, sounds to me like it might be your multi-cast settings on the router.  I'd try googling it.

Hope that helps.

0 Ratings
TimCurtis
Recognised Expert
Message 3 of 12

Go to solution

You need to have the correct settings fot IPTV to work , look here:- https://kb.netgear.com/21778/How-do-I-enable-Internet-Group-Management-Protocol-IGMP-querier-using-t...

0 Ratings
weesteev
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 12

Go to solution

Thanks for the reply but those are instructions for a managed switch, not a Nighthawk router.

The only IGMP reference I have found in the entire router admin page is under Advanced>Setyup>WAN and there is an option to disable IGMP proxying. I have activated this and the subscription HD channels seem to work now but the 4K doesnt, still blocky and unwatchable... although when a subscription HD channel is now playing then every other device on the network loses connection (wireless and wired). Losing the will to live now.

Its worth poitning out that this issue also happened with the HH6 not just with the Netgear router.

Cheers

0 Ratings
BiggMatt187
Contributor
Message 5 of 12

Go to solution
Here's something you might try.. having noticed myself how poor the HH6 was when first released I stopped using it and reverted to a hh5. However.. I did notice that, when connecting a bt youview 4k box to a hh6, the hh6 automatically created port rules for the bttv box. I wrote them down and created port rules for the bttv box within the hub manager of the hh5. If your savvy enough to do away with bt's router in favour of your own purchased device then you should be able to work this out too.

Also bare in mind that BT want to monopolize the market like the asses at Apple and, having noticed significant issues in Netflix streaming via bttv boxs and talking to techs at BT, you will find that BT,s poweline adapters work better than other brands as theirs has some chip or wotnot inside which works with there gear better... How effing convenient!!! But then unlike the other main brands, Bt power line adapters have no pc software like for instance TPlink's... I'm sure your working it out now... I did.. good luck..
0 Ratings
BiggMatt187
Contributor
Message 6 of 12

Go to solution
Also while I'm thinking about it, the av500 pl adapters are it old hat now... I use gigabit ones and in all fairness if bt offer you some for free to replace yours... Then FFS make sure the robbers give you gigabit adapters.... Anything else is a waste of time and just more stress... Also ... Get shot of the old cat5 or cat5e cables you get with stuff.. don't care folks say, there rubbish in this application... I use Duronics cat6 or 7, there quite cheap from amazon.co.uk and triple shielded... You will see straight away in your router management software that the ethernet ports will have changed to gigabit ports.. I have observed this to be true. Just in case there are nay sayers out there.
0 Ratings
weesteev
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 12

Go to solution

Thanks for the reply Matt, any chance you can pop a note up of the ports you have listed and I will try the same ranges.

Cheers

0 Ratings
BiggMatt187
Contributor
Message 8 of 12

Go to solution
Gimme 5 .. I'll be back
0 Ratings
BiggMatt187
Contributor
Message 9 of 12

Go to solution

try

TCP  port range 1024     translate   to       7457

thats the info that a HH6  auto provided for the bt youview box...

dunno if it will help everyone but its worth a shot.

Also try the cable change i mentioned......   Duronics    cat6 or cat 7 ethernet cable.....

Just as an example... my smart tv is direct connected using a cat5e cable, in the router managment page for home network it clearly says '100 Mb/s'   but devices I have connected using Cat6 cable and / or gigabit PL adapters with cat6 cable, all say '1 Gb/s'  .. it all depends on wether your device has a gigabit port in it..

The bt youview hd box(dtr2100) has only a standard 10/100 port.. (very poor choice by BT nitwits)

The bt youview UHD box (dtr4000) has got a gigabit port....hence it will work much better if the right networking is in place.

I know PL adapters are expensive to upgrade but you should (should) find that Gigabit ones work better..

TP-Link TL-PA9020P KIT 2000 Mbps 2-Port Gigabit Passthrough Powerline Starter Kit, Plug & Play, 2 × 2 MIMO with Beamforming, UK Plug

If you also wish to make use of the software they provide, then use a TPlink module near the router, and a BT gigabit pl adapter near the tv etc.      you will then have software on your pc that can see 'some' of what is going on... and also a special bt one near tv with their secretive chip inside to talk to your youview box..

There numptys really, they justy want to keep everything hidden.. totally foolish but there you go ..

let me know how you get on.. 🙂

0 Ratings
TimCurtis
Recognised Expert
Message 10 of 12

Go to solution

@TimCurtis wrote:

You need to have the correct settings fot IPTV to work , look here:- https://kb.netgear.com/21778/How-do-I-enable-Internet-Group-Management-Protocol-IGMP-querier-using-t...

Oops - must have copied the wrong link Smiley Embarassed

But atleast you've got things partially working now.

0 Ratings