cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 6

4K box 'locks up' when recording and will not play back

I am having an intermittent problem with recording programs on my new 4K BT TV box.

I am not sure if this happens always when I try this but I do remember several occasions when it has.

Symptoms:

1) Recording a program....so far so good.

2) Decide, during the recording to start watching the program recording.

3) Box unable to play back the program - not sure of the exact message but something to the extent that there is 'no video or audio' in the recording. 

4) As soon as this happens, I then have several 'hang ups' on the box - blank screens, can't change channels, can't switch the box off / on.

5) After around a minute or so the box 'recovers' and I can continue to watch channels (although my recording is still not available to view).

6) When the recording 'in error' has finished, I can then play it back, no problem. So the 'phantom' corrupt recording is suddenly now available.

Is there a problem with the 4K box with trying to watch recordings that are still active? 

And have others experienced this problem at all?

And is it known by BT and being fixed?

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6

Re: 4K box 'locks up' when recording and will not play back

Hi @Bakersboy 

I wonder whether your experience is similar to that being discussed in 

https://community.bt.com/t5/YouView-from-BT/BT-Pro-box-ghost-failed-recordings/m-p/2196286#M64217

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 6

Hi - thanks for the reply. This is not the same although, to be honest I have experienced this problem myself in the past. 

Where my problem differs is that I try to start watching programs while they are still recording and that is when the problems above occur, with the associated error messages.

However, once the program has finished recording, suddenly the 'corrupted' recording seems to be ok to watch with no hang ups. So this only seems to happen during the recording process.

Not sure if this is an associated software problem but, as you can see, the symptoms are slightly different.

But thanks for your contribution.  👍

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 6

Hi@Bakersboy, yes I have had this occur twice and I did mention it in the thread pointed to by @zulu17 , which is probably what he was referring to.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 6

oh - I see...

so it is an associated problem but not maybe the exact symptoms.

This new box is prone to 'lock ups' on occasions isn't it?

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 6

I don't think the false 'failed to record's are associated with the lock-ups, but I only mentioned the lock-up while I was having a moan about the other problem.  Today's problem was programs not recording at all, which appears to have been solved for the moment by a power cycle.  But the software in this new box does appear to be a bit 'buggy'.

0 Ratings