cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Takahashi
Contributor
Message 1 of 6

4k over wifi?

A friend of mine has just subscribed to BT tv as he wanted  4k BT Sport. He was already a BT internet customer and recently cancelled his Sky subscription as he got fed up with them. His router and tv are in adjoining rooms. The installer has not hard wired the box and router, instead he has installed to wi fi extenders. This surprised me as the Sky box and router were wired, they are on ajoining walls, and running a cable between the two was simple as the wall already had the hole drilled. Last Sat he watching the Chelsea v Man City  game and had endless problems with sound and picture break up. According to the BT help line there is a fault on the line which will be fixed in a few days.

If this doesn't fix the problem do you think if he was to run a wire then he would have a more stable connection? I'm thinking about just going over there and doing this but I don't want to interfere only to make things worse.  I feel guilty enough as he saw my Youview setup (hardwired)  and that encouraged him to subscribe!

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Distinguished Guru
Message 2 of 6

Re: 4k over wifi?

Are you sure they they are WiFi extenders? They are more than likely power line adapters.
(If I have helped you in any way please click the thumbs up. Thank You)
If I have solved your Issue please click the "Mark as accepted solution" button.
0 Ratings
Takahashi
Contributor
Message 3 of 6

I saw them briefly and I think they were plugged in so,yes, I guess they are. Anyway, are they good enough to carry the 4k signal? And, any issues if he was to discard these and use a cable?
0 Ratings
Zombie
Expert
Message 4 of 6

Yes they should be fine. I use the bt mini connectors as my router is in the hallway. Might be what the engineer set up. They have the option of running 2 ethernet cables out of them, so I have one ethernet cable going into the bt tv box and I decided to ethernet my tv as well. I have no issues watching or recording bt sport 4k whilst recording another HD subscription channel. I can then watch netflix 4k on the tv all at the same time without a single blip. So yes they can handle a lot of data I have yet to find the limit. 

I would wait and see how they perform after the fault has been fixed before you go to the bother of hardwiring. 

Did they look like this.. https://www.shop.bt.com/products/bt-mini-connector-kit-087372-CMS2.html

0 Ratings
Takahashi
Contributor
Message 5 of 6

Yes, they look like those in the link. The fault is supposed to be repaired today and I think there's live footy on the 4k channel tonight so that should indicate if there a problem with this. One thing he did say though was during the game last week it was only the 4k channel that had the problems. The other internet channels were fine. Anyway, let's see how he gets on. Still don't understand why a cable wasn't used. Thanks.

0 Ratings
Martyfp68
Contributor
Message 6 of 6

I used to have wireline connectors but ended up swapping to a hard-wired cable for my BT-TV box as the wireline plugs did work for 90% of the time but were not consistent enough to properly sustain a mulitcast channel.   However, I note that the blurb for the BT plug connectors in the link above does state that they are giga-bit capable and do support UHD TV so maybe better than the ones I used in the past.

Either way, for 4K BT sports, I still think that a hardwired connection is the better option if you are able to run the cable. 

However, if you are using homeplugs.  Remember that you should be careful about not plugging them into extender blocks as this degrades their performance.  The need to plug directly into the mains socket. 

Also, remember to check the cables being used.  They should be CAT5e or CAT6 ethernet cables to ensure a gigabit connection.

0 Ratings