cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Contributor
Message 1 of 7

4k you view box entering factory reset mode on power up.

Twice now yesterday, box went into factory reset mode. Few years of this box has been faultless. I am guessing I will be calling the fault line next week for a replcaement, especially since they keep asking for it back and I have just renewd for 18 months!

We power down the box at night or when we go out. On power up it went straight to factory reset options. We could not use any of the options except the one that wiped all recordings! Couple of matches recorded and not happy. Of course when we reset, after considerable amount of time, we need to sign back in to the various apps.

Asking in case it is a quick fix and a known issue and saving me the hassle I expect to get calling it in.

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
TimCurtis
Recognised Expert
Message 2 of 7

Re: 4k you view box entering factory reset mode on power up.

@400 

These units are not meant to be continually powered down/up, in fact many electronics devices are meant to be on power 24/7 as it's the continual power down/up that causes issues. The continual heating up & cooling down of the components is what does the damage.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 7

Hi @400  and welcome.

I'm sorry to hear you're having problems with the youview box. I think @TimCurtis  might be onto something here. Have you contacted the helpline? They'll be best placed to run a few diagnostics for you. Can you try that and let us know how you get on?

Cheers

David

Community ModeratorDaveM
Did you get the help you needed?
Help others by clicking on ‘Mark as accepted solution’
Show your appreciation!
Click on the star next to a reply to say thanks
Help guide to using the community? Click below
Kudos”Kudos”
0 Ratings
Contributor
Message 4 of 7

@TimCurtis

Appreciate the mentioned reason, however I have never seen anything definitively saying so and always in mentions on the web about this. Without meaning to be rude and asking in ignorance, is this a definable thing or a repeat from the web? It would be interesting to see the effect on components referenced and life time degradation, I understand there is a heating/cooling issue with some components and short duration cycling between heating and cooling.

I would have thought power supplies are bit smarter now than just a transformer with a few diodes and capacitors thrown in for good luck. Meaning the delivery of the +5 rail for example is not as savage as once was though a component taking that voltage might get upset at it taken away all the time. Transients can be filtered and voltage spikes clamped down.

My concern would be number of operations. e.g. Sort of like buying a switch rated for 500,000 life time operations but I will only use 300,000.

However, BT does say you can power down the box with a caveat that it would not get updates. It does have a fan and cooling vents and it will get warm. And until I get a guarantee from BT or the manufacturer that there will be no fault leading to me having to get out out quickly at night after waking up with the smoke detectors going crazy, I keep the minimum turned on at night. Smiley Happy

Anyhoo. Damned thing is behaving, no more instances. Hate this when it happens, hard to fault.

0 Ratings
TimCurtis
Recognised Expert
Message 5 of 7

@400 

No offence taken, I was just giving my opinion based on years of experience and it's up to others to accept or ignore it.

Ironically my 4K box went into a maintenance mode reset mode this morning so who knows.:)

Contributor
Message 6 of 7

Well, died a death now. Will report back.

0 Ratings
Contributor
Message 7 of 7

FYI anyone with the same. Tests were run remotley. Decide box needed replacing. However 4k box is only replaced by engineer and not sent out, acording to help desk. Usual warning if engineer finds the fault inside the house then £80 charge. Box was in the failed state when it was replaced.

0 Ratings