cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
DirectorsScarf
Contributor
Message 1 of 8

8bit or 10bit output if you have an 8bit FRC panel?

Hello

Can anyone advise me what to set my (non-hdr) 4k with with my xbox one s and my Bt youview box? (toshiba 43u6763db)
Both devices have options to output at 8 or 10 bit- my TV is 8bit with FRC.
I'm aware of what the FRC does- but will selecting 10 bit in theory make my picture better or worse?

Many thanks

Chris

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES
scointer
Recognised Expert
Message 2 of 8

Re: 8bit or 10bit output if you have an 8bit FRC panel?

Someone might like to correct me here but 10bit is only utilised for HDR output. The BT boxes out at present will never do HDR therefore the 10bit output is actually useless on the YouView box. It will make no difference what you set it for and look exactly the same on your screen.

The xbox one s is a different matter as some app's and games etc do output HDR (Netflix/Amazon etc) via it BUT again if your TV can't handle the extra colour information (non-HDR) it isn't worth having it.

It is always best to see for yourself so try each way and see what you think but I would suggest just sticking to 8bit.

DirectorsScarf
Contributor
Message 3 of 8

Most informative Thankyou.
I've gone from a Freesat recorder andvBT Zapper box (both of which had admirable picture quality) and so far the HD channels on the terrestrial side of things on the new BT box haven't been up to scratch. Disappointing as the 4K side of things is sublime.
The picture is way too soft and no amount of tinkering with the settings seems to fix it. I'm at 100% signal quality and 97% strength too. All processing switched off. Honestly it's like watching in SD again!
0 Ratings
scointer
Recognised Expert
Message 4 of 8

Have you tried switching the BT box to output at 1080p (I know this means you would have to switch back for the UHD channel/content but just as a test). It is sometimes just worth checking as if the box is set to output at 2160p (UHD) it means the box will scale up the picture before outputting to your tv (on non UHD content) but if you output at 1080p it means your TV will scale up the picture and in most cases the TV will do a better job than the box. Just worth a try to see if you see any difference.

DirectorsScarf
Contributor
Message 5 of 8

I'll give it a go 🙏
0 Ratings
DirectorsScarf
Contributor
Message 6 of 8

Well I never.

A profound improvement. Now whilst I'm elated to find there is a workaround I would prefer the moderator to escalate this issue as who wouldn't preferably leave it set at UHD and expect the box to provide the optimal picture for the source content?
0 Ratings
scointer
Recognised Expert
Message 7 of 8

To be fair you can’t really expect a general box to upscale better for all TV makes than a upscaler designed for the exact panel built within the tv (you could of course hope for it to be better than it is but then again the uhd box is a good few years old now) What you actually need is for the box to just output at the native resolution and not upscale. Therefore outputting 1080p on HD sources and 2160p when the source is native 4k. Not sure if anything can do that and I am asking for the impossible though.
At the minute though as in most things it is a trade off between quality or ease.
0 Ratings
DirectorsScarf
Contributor
Message 8 of 8

"What you actually need is for the box to just output at the native resolution and not upscale. Therefore outputting 1080p on HD sources and 2160p when the source is native 4k."
Precisely my point my good man 👌
Let's hope they can address it in the best way possible in the future somehow.
0 Ratings