Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ByeToSky
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 5

A Second Youview Box

Go to solution

I have purchased a second BT Youview box from E-bay. The main purpose of the box is to decode MPEG4 and feed via HDMI an (Old) remote television. My question is will this box interfere with the operation of my main BT Youview box? If not then I will set up Wi-Fi on the box. If it will interfere then I will not set up Wi-Fi.

Many thanks.

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 5

Re: A Second Youview Box

Go to solution

Welcome to this user forum.

You would not be able to watch any subscription channels on both boxes, without paying extra for multi-room.

Apart from that, everything else should work.

What do you mean by decode MPEG4, as the box cannot take any content from an external source?

0 Ratings
ByeToSky
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 5

Go to solution
Hi Keith,
Thank you for a quick heads up. You probably spotted that I said Wi-F- and should have said broadband.

One of the channels is a Freesat recorder encoded with an Edision HDMI Modulator into MPEG4. This is the lady of the houses
recorder. She controls it from multiple rooms with magic eyes so can watch it in any room that has a TV screen. The lounge TV however is an old plasma that does not decode MPEG4. I am assuming that as the BT Sports are presented as MPEG4 the box will be able to decode this channel.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 5

Go to solution

You would only be able to get BT Sport on one box at a time, without an extra box subscription. BT Sport and any extra channels are delivered over the broadband.

I am not really sure what you are trying to do, so perhaps someone else can help?

0 Ratings
ByeToSky
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 5

Go to solution

I do not need to host BT Sports on this second box. I could have chosen any Freeview box to decode the MPEG4 and feed to the TV via an HDMI cable. I chose a second youview box so that if the main box fails I have a fall back. 

If you have multiple TV screens around the house, an Edision Modulator turns a recorders HDMI output into a digital channel to be tuned and viewed from any of the screens. The format is MPEG4 which almost all SMART screens will decode. This means you can record and play back from any of the rooms. The picture and sound quality is excellent. HD channels are presented in HD. Cannot cope with Ultra-HD but feel sure that as it gets a foothold we will see an Ultra-HD modulator hit the marketplace.

thank you again for your advice.

0 Ratings