cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Timmmm
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 9

A few BT TV/Broadband questions

Sorry if I've posted in the wrong area but i'm just assesing my BT options right now.

I currently have Sky, can I have a BT TV box in the same room? There is no chance of me getting rid of Sky but I want a BT box for the BT Sport.

My current broadband box is downstairs, how easy is it to set up a broadband router in my bedroom instead (where the box is going) or how reliable is BT TV if it was running via wireless.

What other options would I have given the above scenarios, basically I have a Sky box in my room, my broadband is downstairs - i am willing to switch my broadband to BT and want a BT TV box in my room along with the Sky box.

Thanks for any help 🙂

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
D-ave
Expert
Message 2 of 9

Re: A few BT TV/Broadband questions

Yes you can have both boxes in the same room, I have exactly that.

You will need to switch to a BT Infinity 1 or 2 connection and your line must have a maximum achieveable speed of 44Mbps - BT will test for that when you apply to get BT TV but you obviously need to check it out before switching broadband suppliers.

BT will charge you for an engineer install of BT TV using an ethernet cable, so you will either have to have your BT broadband router installed in or nearer your room (possibly at extra cost, that would depend on the details), or get the BT TV installer to run ethernet cable from the downstairs router (replacing the Sky one, presumably there as it's near the phone master socket), all the way to your bedroom, they can drill through walls and sometimes ceilings if you let them.

If you leave the router downstairs, maybe you can persuade him to leave a router-to-TV-box ethernet cable running loose along the skirting board, under carpets etc.,  then switch to powerline or wifi distribution after he's gone. Just don't tell him that's what you want to do. Depends on the distances and route involved of course.  It will then be pot luck whether or not your wifi/powerlines are fast enough all the time to produce a rock solid picture. Ethernet cable from router to TV box is the most reliable connection and is all that BT will officially support.

0 Ratings
layman72
Contributor
Message 3 of 9

@Timmmm wrote:

Sorry if I've posted in the wrong area but i'm just assesing my BT options right now.

I currently have Sky, can I have a BT TV box in the same room? There is no chance of me getting rid of Sky but I want a BT box for the BT Sport.

My current broadband box is downstairs, how easy is it to set up a broadband router in my bedroom instead (where the box is going) or how reliable is BT TV if it was running via wireless.

What other options would I have given the above scenarios, basically I have a Sky box in my room, my broadband is downstairs - i am willing to switch my broadband to BT and want a BT TV box in my room along with the Sky box.

Thanks for any help 🙂

If you don't want to avoid the hassle of a different box and just want BT Sport then switch your broadband to BT and get BT Sport on your Sky box for £5 per month. If you want BT Sport in HD then that's £4 per month more (£9 in total) and you need BT Infinity to do this.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 4 of 9

I have both and my router is in a different room and you can use power line adapters if you are lucky as I do

BTLife | 1967 Plus Radio | 1000 Classical Hits
Someone Solved Your Question?
Please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
Helpful Post?
If a post has been helpful, say thanks by clicking the ratings star.
0 Ratings
Timmmm
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 9

Thanks for the replies!

Is it likely I could use an Ethernet cable from downstairs directly to the bedroom or would the distance be too much?

Sorry how does the power line adapter work?

Also how many channels can be recorded at once on the you view plus box, and can you watch previous recordings whilst you are recording the maximum amount of channels like you can with sky?

Sorry for all the questions but any info would be appreciated 🙂
0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 6 of 9

You can record two at once and watch any recording at the same time. You can also watch any of the other on deman services while recording.
Power line adapters use your electrical wiring to get the signal to the box - look them up in Anazon that will let you see them and explain better than I can how theyvwork

Helpful Post?
0 Ratings
Timmmm
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 9

Thanks!

So if I was recording two at the same time how would this effect internet usage for the rest of the household in your experience with the products?
0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 8 of 9

That entirely depends on your speed but it doesn't make any difference to me and I get only 25mbps

Helpful Post?
0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 9 of 9

@D-ave wrote:

Yes you can have both boxes in the same room, I have exactly that.

You will need to switch to a BT Infinity 1 or 2 connection and your line must have a maximum achieveable speed of 44Mbps - BT will test for that when you apply to get BT TV but you obviously need to check it out before switching broadband suppliers.

BT will charge you for an engineer install of BT TV using an ethernet cable, so you will either have to have your BT broadband router installed in or nearer your room (possibly at extra cost, that would depend on the details), or get the BT TV installer to run ethernet cable from the downstairs router (replacing the Sky one, presumably there as it's near the phone master socket), all the way to your bedroom, they can drill through walls and sometimes ceilings if you let them.

If you leave the router downstairs, maybe you can persuade him to leave a router-to-TV-box ethernet cable running loose along the skirting board, under carpets etc.,  then switch to powerline or wifi distribution after he's gone. Just don't tell him that's what you want to do. Depends on the distances and route involved of course.  It will then be pot luck whether or not your wifi/powerlines are fast enough all the time to produce a rock solid picture. Ethernet cable from router to TV box is the most reliable connection and is all that BT will officially support.

That would be for UHD, not for standard/high def using the normal Youview box

toekneem

(EASBF)

0 Ratings