Search instead forΒ 
Did you mean:Β 
morpheus2n2
Beginner
Message 1 of 7

Advice with Youview+ box and 3rd party router

Go to solution

Hi I hope someone can help πŸ™‚

I used to have a HH3 but it was just plain **bleep** and had been replaced twice for the same problem, so I bought a Netgear N900 and this worked great for a few weeks on my infinity 2, in a effort to save money I decided to move from sky TV to BT TV only to find after I have got the equipment that my new expencive N900 router would not work at all with the Youview box.

So after a conversation with a very helpful guy at BT they sent me a HH5 free as I needed the speed of the AC wifi for my gaming needs!

Things are ok but like the HH3 the new HH5 is pure and utter **bleep** with port forwarding and customization for xbox live/psn etc

So I am looking to get another 3rd party router and was looking at http://www.asus.com/Networking/RTAC66U/ as I know the older model works with BT TV so am hoping this will to!

If not is there a guide or way to have the HH5 and a 3rd party router at same time?

I.e

BTopenreach Modem (for the infinity) -> HH5*->Asus RT-AC66U->Home network

|

->Youviewbox

*HH5 forwareds all ports to the Asus and also place the asus in dmz with the HH5 firewall disabled!

Would this work?

The Idea is that the HH5 is used purely for the youview and everything (hopfully) else is run from the asus as it should (in theory) have all traffic sent to it unfiltereed almost as if it was pluged directly in to the openreach modem.

I really hope this makes some sence to someone πŸ™‚

Thanks for any help on this

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
walkerx
Recognised Expert
Message 2 of 7

Re: Advice with Youview+ box and 3rd party router

Go to solution
set up hh5 on one range (ie 192.168.0.1) and then on 3rd party setup for 192.168.1.1 and set wan for dhcp. this will then get IP from hh5 for 3rd party router wan. on hh5 setup DMZ and select the 3rd party router. doing this will allow your 3rd party router to protect your network and do all forwarding, etc for devices connected to it. also disable WiFi on hh5 if using 3rd party router WiFi.

morpheus2n2
Beginner
Message 3 of 7

Go to solution
Right so leave hh5 as internet gateway and plug it on to a lan port or the wan port on the 3rd party? Also the youview box that go in to the hh5 to make sure its fully compatible? Thanks so much
0 Ratings
walkerx
Recognised Expert
Message 4 of 7

Go to solution

leave hh5 as internet gateway. plug wan from 3rd party into lan port on hh5. plug youview into lan port on hh5 as well. on 3rd party router plug devices into lan ports (ie PC's, xbox if not wireless)

0 Ratings
Highlighted
morpheus2n2
Beginner
Message 5 of 7

Go to solution

Awsome thanks so much πŸ™‚

0 Ratings
walkerx
Recognised Expert
Message 6 of 7

Go to solution
no probs, this how mine is currently setup. I still use the modem as hh5 has maintenance reboot every 30 days I think. this can affect recordings on multicast channels.
morpheus2n2
Beginner
Message 7 of 7

Go to solution
Yeah was never going to use hh5's vdsl as my modem is in differnt part of house and has a dedicated line to the router lol again thanks for the help
0 Ratings