cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 10

Amazon Prime UHD on Pro Box.

Watching footy on Amazon Prime (pgm description states it is UHD), the picture quality is awful, SD would be better. To check, I switched over to my Apple UHD box , and the picture is superb.

Switched between 10bit / 8bit so no avail. Out of interest I tried 1080, which was somewhat better, but still not good. Surround sound is still u/s.

HDMI is correct spec, and Sony TV runs at 10bit.

Any ideas?

0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10

Re: Amazon Prime UHD on Pro Box.

Were you watching the Leicester Vs Liverpool game? Because I was watching via a Roku and the picture quality was absolutely awful... It looked like a poor quality dvd rip

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 10

@NigelB72 Hi Nigel, yes I was watchinng the Leicester v L'pool game. at first I thought it was very foggy there. I switched to watch it throught my Apple TV UHD box and the picture was superb.  Went back to the  BT Pro box  - it was like watching it through net curtains with a pair of stockings over the screen, so it wasn't the Amazon  stream.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 10

It definitely was the Amazon stream but only seemed to be affecting certain platforms. As I said, I was watching via a Roku device and the quality was shockingly bad so it definitely wasn't unique to the BT Pro box or the app on it. 

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 10

Curious as when I read the post I was viewing  game (from about 30 minutes into the first half) on a  BT Tv Pro Box and also  switched for a brief time to a Roku device and the picture  (UHD HDR] seemed fine on both watching on a Samsung TV.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 10

@zulu17 for me the quality seemed to be around 720p with HDR with a poor frame rate. Basically, it was like Sky Sports on NowTV without the HD Boost but with HDR which just made it look worse.

The video quality on Prime for football has always been pretty shonky tbh and nowhere near the quality of BT Sport or Sky Sports with the HD Boost. It seems like they're struggling to get adaptive bandwidth right while trying to satisfy the majority who won't be streaming in 4K HDR...

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 10

@NigelB72 @zulu17 

Tried the Chelsea v BHA on BT Pro Box, picture was good, and marginally better (maybe?) on Apple TV UHD box.  Swoped to the Brentford v MC game.  BT Pro Box, again I was watching thorught net curtains, switched to Apple, it was so much better.  Odd, varying pictures. Seems to be hit and miss.  

Amazon previously had been good for all sports I've watched - tennis and footy). Guess I'll just have to suck it and see.

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 10

@scharter I know what you mean. Last night Leicester vs Liverpool was awful for me but now watching Brentford Vs Man City and the quality is excellent. It's only ever Prime that struggles with live sports which is bizarre as AWS (Amazon) host and provide the data infrastructure for most of the big streaming platforms and the live  F1 graphic stats...🧐

I'm still thinking that they're using Premier League as a test bed for a bigger investment when the rights go out to tender again..

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 10

@NigelB72 Yeah, so strange. I msg'd my son who's watching the City game (via his TV Amazon app), and says it's fine, but last nights LFC game was cr@p? If it's so varied, I hope Amazon don't win any further rights if (when) BT sell their sports package which is strongly rumoured in the prress.
It's not rocket science  to get it right, Bezo's should know! 😆

Message 10 of 10

@scharter I think BT's sport package will end up going to either Discovery, Prime or even getting split between the two. 

Discovery don't seem that fussed about football because they'd want the pan European rights but they might be interested in MotoGP, Golf etc. WWE I can see going back to Sky or going fully onto their own streaming platform will which will fall integrate with Peacock as it has done in America as that is owned by NBC/Comcast who also own Sky.

0 Ratings