cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 25

Are the days of BT TV numbered?

It seems to me that the days of BT TV are numbered. It is a service that requires you to have BT Broadband and now that there are so many other faster and cheaper options for broadband and lots of other options for TV, in particular the new Sky Stream which allows any ISP, why would anyone not leave BT and therefore BT TV for a cheaper and faster option. The only way to remedy this is to unlink the requirement for BT TV users to use BT internet. If this is not possible for technical reasons those technical reasons need to be overcome.

0 Ratings
24 REPLIES 24
Message 2 of 25

Re: Are the days of BT TV numbered?

Or perhaps it's the equivalent of the supermarket petrol station, the loss leader which figuratively speaking increases footfall in the main store. I'm currently on a 2 year contract at £6 a month (yes, six pounds per month for two years) and for that I get the base Now TV package and the base Netflix package and a TV box/recorder.

The system has its faults but at that price it's not bad value for money

Message 3 of 25

The bt tv deals with bb usually work out cheaper than a bb & tv deal from Sky so I'd say no

Message 4 of 25

I think it depends upon whether you are satisfied with your BT broadband cost and speed.

I am not suggesting BT TV is not good value for money but if there is a cheaper and faster FTTP broadband option as opposed to a slow BT connection many people would like to use that faster option and retain BT TV. This is not possible so why not move to that faster connection and use Sky Stream instead. Sky allow you to use any ISP unlike BT TV.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 25

It's all relative surely? if you're happy with what you've got and how much it costs then why change it? you don't fix what ain't  broken

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 25

But I am not happy with my broadband speed so am going to change to an ISP that can give me three times the speed for about half the price.

I would like to retain BT TV but can't therefore goodbye BT TV.

I am sure there are others in this situation.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 25

If BT can't offer you FTTP then what makes you think that Sky can? To the best of my knowledge they both use the Openreach network so if either one of them can't supply you with FTTP then surely the other one can't either

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 25

I am not thinking of going with Sky Broadband.

Another ISP has laid FTTP in our area using their own network.

I can sign up to any ISP and use Sky Stream but I can't use BT TV because to use BT TV you have to use BT Broadband.

In fact I have a choice of two FTTP providers but no date for when BT can supply FTTP.

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 25

Sky Stream is a completely different product and can assure you is far from perfect. 

BT TV requires multicasting which is only available on BT. I’d say BT have the upper hand here, a network already built for delivering TV and now a deal with WBO. Sky will be hit hard when there HBO contract expires in 2025. All change in the next few years 

Message 10 of 25

If your after FTTP but BT don't offer it in your area, I think your options are limited.

I don't think BT is going down over the odd customer not being able to get FTTP.

But there are other options open to you with Sky Stream or subscribing to Now TV and all the other streaming services you want individually which could be cheaper than Sky Stream, but if you are ademant about trying Sky Stream good luck to you.

I am lucky enough that I can get full FTTP and BT Entertainment with Netflix and I am happy with the reduced channel options for the price.

I think it is right though that eventually Sky is going to have to rely on Comcast for it's exclusive content, and I hope that one day people have the option of subscribing to Peacock individually too or even Universal plus which I see is now available in France for instance. 

0 Ratings