cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bikeman
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 13

Aspect ratio 4:3

I have a Humax 2nd gen BT box connected via hdmi.

I am aware that youview say that their box outputs tv in the aspect ratio as broadcast.

With other freeview boxes I can adjust the aspect ratio on the tv to stretch 4:3 programmes automatically to to 16:9.

But this doesn't work with the youview box. It's like Humax are not actually outputting the 4:3 program but are adding black bars at the sides to make a 16:9 view. So my tv sees the program as already 16:9 and cant then stretch it.

So Humax's claim to be outputting programmes in their original aspect ratio appears to be wrong.

I've read internet postings with claim that this is issue is addressed in an update but my box is updated to latest.

0 Ratings
12 REPLIES 12
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 2 of 13

Re: Aspect ratio 4:3

Are you seeking to stretch live tv  channels or catch-up/on demand content  or both from 4:3 to 16:9 ?

if live tv can you give a example of programme and channel where you have the issue.

0 Ratings
bikeman
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 13

Channel 4, The Simpsons. 

Program is 4:3 but output from youview box is 16:9 so my tv can't 'stretch' it.

My freeview boxes output this program at 4:3 over scart and the tv stretches them fine. 

I think this might have something to do with hdmi being 16:9 only. 

0 Ratings
ozsat
Expert
Message 4 of 13

The picture is being shown in the correct format.

If it is an old episode of The Simpson then it should be 4:3 with black bars left and right.

These bars should be there and I think Channel 4 actually transmit them.

There is no 4:3/16:9 switching via HDMI - so some broadcasters correctly add this left/right borders to ensure the viewer is not getting a distorted (stretched) picture.

---------------------------------------------------------------
using Superfast Fibre 1 Unlimited with BT Max TV package (inc. UHD).
Hunter2660
Recognised Expert
Message 5 of 13

I've never understood why some people need to "fill the screen" on every occasion. With 4.3 material you're not gaining any extra material, just a weird looking picture. I've noticed ITV4 are now re-running The Sweeney, and probably others, in 16.9, zooming in to fill the screen and chopping the top and bottom of the picture, just as bad in my opinion.

bikeman
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 13

I don't notice the picture distortion. When the pics not stretched it looks plain weird, like I'm watching 20 years ago. It's my personal preference, not really for anyone to question. 

I understand what you're saying about the broadcaster adding black bars to 4:3 programs BUT Channel 4 is NOT doing this on The Simpsons. It is broadcast in 4:3. Quite why this program is still made in 4:3 I really don't know, maybe they're all still watching CRTs in the US.

My freeview box correctly outputs in 4:3 over Scart and this allows my tv to stretch to 16:9.

However the youview box hdmi port outputs 16:9 (ie it is the box adding the bars not channel 4) so my tv can't stretch the picture. It would be my preference if it didn't do this and allowed me to decide via my tv's settings.

Are you saying that 4:3 just cannot be sent over hdmi (I can't verify this because all my freeview boxes are scart), so the box has to pad out this picture to 16:9? 

0 Ratings
ozsat
Expert
Message 7 of 13

All HDMI signals are expected to be in 16:9 - so a 4:3 image should have the bars added at source.

0 Ratings
bikeman
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 13

Ok thanks. My last word on this, I think the Youview box is a bit out of kilter with what happens with every other freeview box and tv I have ever had. I'll just have to record these 4:3 programs on my old freeview box.

I'd like to see a setting in the youview box to top/bottom crop 4:3 programs, so users could choose what they prefer. 

0 Ratings
ozsat
Expert
Message 9 of 13

We still have got to the stage when the boxes provide people the option to watch in the ratio the programme was intended to be seen in.

Look at the Gold pictures for old programmes - they are forced stretched on the BT box.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Hunter2660
Recognised Expert
Message 10 of 13

@bikemanwrote:

I don't notice the picture distortion. When the pics not stretched it looks plain weird, like I'm watching 20 years ago. It's my personal preference, not really for anyone to question. 

I understand what you're saying about the broadcaster adding black bars to 4:3 programs BUT Channel 4 is NOT doing this on The Simpsons. It is broadcast in 4:3. Quite why this program is still made in 4:3 I really don't know, maybe they're all still watching CRTs in the US.

My freeview box correctly outputs in 4:3 over Scart and this allows my tv to stretch to 16:9.

However the youview box hdmi port outputs 16:9 (ie it is the box adding the bars not channel 4) so my tv can't stretch the picture. It would be my preference if it didn't do this and allowed me to decide via my tv's settings.

Are you saying that 4:3 just cannot be sent over hdmi (I can't verify this because all my freeview boxes are scart), so the box has to pad out this picture to 16:9? 

The US were later adopting 16.9, waiting until HD broadcasting began, so many shows were shot in 4.3 which was standard at the time. 

0 Ratings