Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cragger89
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 9

Asus RT-N56U setup.

All,

I have spent the morning working on my network and can confirm that this router IS compatible with multicast, but the instruction notes in the sticky post on this forum are incorrect, I also have more info I wish to share.

I had the latest firmware version on my router and I observed that I was unable to change any of the IPTV settings and have them retained - pressing save had no effect. I visited the Asus website and downloaded an older version (v 3.0.0.4.374.130 from http://support.asus.com/download.aspx?SLanguage=en&m=RT-N56U&os=8 ) which I then installed.I chose this version because in the revision notes, a fix placed on Multicasting is specifically mentioned.

It is advisable to backup any settings, but I didn't and all my settings were retained.

Once this had installed, I still had no extra channels available on my YouView box. However, once I enabled Multicasting from the IPTV tab, everything started working.

I've had this setup running for 1 hour and so far, it is still working. If anyone has an Asus router, I fully recommend taking the time to do a full reset and proper configuration to enable Multicasting on it. Running it as an AP with WiFi disabled on the HH is a viable workaround, but it is wasteful having more devices plugged in consuming power than is necessary, plus the routing capability of the Asus is far better than the HH.

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
stuartsharp
Aspiring Contributor
Message 2 of 9

Re: Asus RT-N56U setup.

I have the same router and I had no problem setting it up using the instructions in the sticky, but the settings I copied were for the N66U (not 56 as we have). I've just checked and they're exactly the same as your screenshot. My firmware is 3.0.0.4.374_979

I did try replacing it with the HH5 at first, but the WiFi range was abysmal and the wife's phone was forever asking her to 'sign in' to the network.

0 Ratings
cragger89
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 9

My house is quite small, so the HH3 did the job but streaming the high definition video around the house was a no-no.

Interesting that the firmware in it's latest guise did not work for me, I wonder if it was just a dodgy installation? Either way, it works and I had no failed recordings at night which did happen when using the HH3 as a router.

All good thus far 🙂

0 Ratings
1Legin
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 9

THanks for this - have found another firmware update that mentions fixing IPTV related issues; problem I now have is that the download is compressed zip file which my windows system (8.1) doesn't recognise (TRX?)......... how do I unzip it or do I need to download differently?

0 Ratings
TimCurtis
Recognised Expert
Message 5 of 9

The trx file is the format required for loading directly into your Asus. You do not need to uncompress it.

0 Ratings
1Legin
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 9

Cragger - I've just got this router and I can't get it to work with BT Sport channels at all........ any chance you could go through the precise settings for me or point me to the sticky?

Thanks.

0 Ratings
TimCurtis
Recognised Expert
Message 7 of 9

These are the settings for the Asus rt-n66u which should be the same for yours:-

ASUS RT-N66U

You must configure 'Enable VPN + DHCP Connection' to 'No' under the WAN option.

Settings used were:

- Have router on the latest firmware

- Use the following settings in LAN > IPTV:

- 'Select ISP Profile' = None

- 'Choose IPTV STB Port' = None

- 'Use DHCP routes' = Microsoft

- 'Enable multicast routing (IGMP Proxy) = Enable

- 'Enable efficient multicast forwarding (IGMP Snooping) = Enable

- 'UDB Proxy (Udpxy) = 0

0 Ratings
1Legin
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 9

Brilliant - that seems to have worked......... many thanks for your assistance.

0 Ratings
Tonyv82
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 9

Hi there, I've just bought an ASUS RT-N56U and am trying to get it to work with the internet channels I pay for. It works fine with BBC1 HD but anything else such as BT sports etc don't work. I've tried downloading the firmware recommended and have set the IPTV settings to enabled and innitially it wasn't working for me either but so far, since resetting the youview it seems to work. So to clarify for those struggling with the RTN56U, dwnload the firmware that the OP suggested, set the IPTV to enable and don't change anything else on that tab, under WAN you can do what the other guy suggested and turn a setting off but I can't tell at the moment if that fixed it or simply factory resetting the youview box. 

0 Ratings