cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Crreading1
Beginner
Message 1 of 8

BBC channels only!

We’ve had an ongoing intermittent problem with signal of channels since getting bt tv this year.  We assumed it was our aerial which is located in the loft but after tuning in our Samsung tv using the same aerial lead and getting a perfect picture on all channels we can only deduct that there is something wrong with the bt box.  

At at the moment we can only get perfect bbc channels! All the other channels are unwatchable,  quite baffling.  I’ve done a factory reset using the bt problem solver but nothing has changed.  Please can anyone help.  

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
NigelB72
Recognised Expert
Message 2 of 8

Re: BBC channels only!

Check your signal strength and quality on one of the channels that are pixelating. The Humax boxes are very sensitive so either too much signal strength or too little can both cause issues. 

If you're signal strength is 95-100 it's probably too high. You can normally solve this with a variable attenuator which you can get online for around £10. 

Signal strength ideally wants to be 80-90 with signal quality over 90... 

0 Ratings
Crreading1
Beginner
Message 3 of 8

I’ve tested two channels, signal strength on par with your recommended figures

Signal quality however, is under20%

I wonder if it’s the humax box aerial receiver, as I said before, the tv works great with aerial, also have aerial connected in two other rooms and signal is fine. It has to be the box, surely?
0 Ratings
NigelB72
Recognised Expert
Message 4 of 8

It potentially could be the box but also because the Humax has twin tuners, it needs more signal strength than a single tuner TV.

Check the signal strength and quality that your TV is getting.

If there's a big difference it could be the box but if it's similar, the TV might be handling the low signal strength better than the Humax box can 

0 Ratings
TimCurtis
Recognised Expert
Message 5 of 8

@Crreading1 

Try to make sure that the aerial cable is clear of any other cabling as sometimes poorly shielded cabling can cause this type of issue.

0 Ratings
Crreading1
Beginner
Message 6 of 8

Signal quality on Samsung tv is 100%
Signal strength 70/80%
0 Ratings
Crreading1
Beginner
Message 7 of 8

@TimCurtis 

Done this,  aerial cable is in middle of room,  far away as possible from other cables.

no different. 🤷🏼‍♀️

This problem has happened a few times from the time we had bt tv.  (Middle of lockdown as it happened, previously we had freesat attached to our satellite dish, then our dish broke and couldn’t get anyone out to fix it, so since we were with bt for broadband we decided to go with the tv option to get us out of fix, regret that decision now 😖).  But we put it down to our aerial in loft,  until I plugged aerial into tv and found perfect channels.  All the other times the problem has rectified itself 😶 but this is now going on for over a week.  

Im at a loss of what to do. 

0 Ratings
TimCurtis
Recognised Expert
Message 8 of 8

@Crreading1 

It likely is the loft aerial as the tuners on the BT Youview units aren't the best and suffer badly from either a weak signal - as I believe is your case - or a very strong signal.

An aerial amplifier in the loft might help but the only real solution , whilst retaining BT TV , would be a new roof mounted aerial. Is this an option?

There are other recorders like the Humax FVP-5000 (and about to be available Aura) and Panasonic units like the HWT150 which I have. These units are unlikely to suffer in the same way.

I'd be inclined to call BT and see if maybe under the circumstances you could cancel BT TV without penalty.

0 Ratings