cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jrpatten
Aspiring Contributor
Message 21 of 38

Re: BROADBAND USAGE WITH YOUVIEW??

I had a confirmation email from BT Vision today assuring me that any usage on the YouView box will not count towards my download/upload usage allowance. BT are working on a fix for the download monitor. Will have to see at the end of the month if this is the case.

0 Ratings
walkerx
Recognised Expert
Message 22 of 38

Just make sure they don't charge you if on limited package
0 Ratings
Highlighted
byattbrown
Aspiring Contributor
Message 23 of 38

@jrpatten wrote:

I had a confirmation email from BT Vision today assuring me that any usage on the YouView box will not count towards my download/upload usage allowance. BT are working on a fix for the download monitor. Will have to see at the end of the month if this is the case.

This is really interesting, I went over last month, but have not had an email saying I will be charged.  I take It then that the monitor is nor working correctly.

Nice of someone to let us know this.

0 Ratings
jrpatten
Aspiring Contributor
Message 24 of 38

I signed up for the 10GB cap broadband, as the amount of downloading we do at home is quite low, however I am aware that it will be quite a lot if the YouView box was counting towards the usage.

BT said in the email that YouView usage will not count, and if you have gone over in the month they will look through your usage and subtract any YouView usage from the total, not sure how they will do this as there are lots of players on the box!

This is my first time with BT, but apparently if you go over the cap for the first time they let you off, but subsequent times they will charge! Hopefully they manage to spot YouView usage from my downloads as I can see it going over by quite a bit!

0 Ratings
Dan73
Message 25 of 38

Hi , Never posted before so here goes

since getting bt youview unlimited my monthly usage has gone from 3.5 average to 9.8 last month. BT say I must be downloading stuff but I am not doing anything more than before.

I have added a download meter to my PC today to monitor my usage in realtime so I can prove I am not downloading anymore than before.

BT just fobbed me of because I dont think the support staff i spoke to know an awful lot about it.

will keep you posted

0 Ratings
flags
Contributor
Message 26 of 38

I'm in a very curious position.

BT let me upgrade to YouView for £49 because I was within 3 months of my BT Vision contract ending, in December 2012. I phoned them about another matter today and was advised that my contract expiry for BT Vision is still December 2012 ... I'd assumed they'd have re-contracted me for another year when I got the YouView box & that hasn't happened.

Which means they've given me a £300 box and I can end BT Vision next month without penalty ?

That really doesn't sound right at all.

I'm on unlimited broadband, option 3 is it ? So I guess we've won a watch !

0 Ratings
chrisp18
Contributor
Message 27 of 38

I have been monitoring this thread and would like to add my tuppence worth.

I am on BT Broadband Option 1 with a 10GB limit which has never been a problem in the past even with BT Vision.

I switched from BT Vision to YouView as a result of the offer.

I am aware that BT states that films on BT Vision and any on demand i.e iPlayer and ITV Player etc. will not count against my usage limit.

I am also aware that there is a problem with Usage Monitor that BT expects to have resolved by the end of the month.

However, I am concerned that my usage is rising according to the Usage monitor. I now have the message that I am likely to exceed my limit before the end of the month which I have never seen before.

I have used BT Vision player to look at a couple of old films and TV since switching. I have also used the iPlayers a couple of times to catch up with things I have missed and I would not, if BT are correct, have expected my usage to rise at the rate it seems to be doing.

It is a great pity that the usage monitor cannot segregate the YouView use from normal broadband so it can be monitored properly by the end user. 

Until I am confident that things are working as they should I suppose i.e I am not having use charged incorrectly against my monthly allowance I can only think to  avoid using BT Vision and on demand, which is not ideal given that I will be paying for a service I cannot use properly..

0 Ratings
walkerx
Recognised Expert
Message 28 of 38

@flags wrote:

I'm in a very curious position.

BT let me upgrade to YouView for £49 because I was within 3 months of my BT Vision contract ending, in December 2012. I phoned them about another matter today and was advised that my contract expiry for BT Vision is still December 2012 ... I'd assumed they'd have re-contracted me for another year when I got the YouView box & that hasn't happened.

Which means they've given me a £300 box and I can end BT Vision next month without penalty ?

That really doesn't sound right at all.

I'm on unlimited broadband, option 3 is it ? So I guess we've won a watch !

I wouldn't complain if they let you upgrade early and now have no record of it. You are very lucky as they point blank refused to allow other and myself upgrade when we had less left on contract..

0 Ratings
Boowip
Beginner
Message 29 of 38

I Have been having this problem with BT for 6 months now, since we signed up for YouView.

Previous to this we had watched a lot of iplayer and 4OD on the PC and our usage was between 9-11gb a month. As we have the 10gb limit, it was a no brainer to switch to YouView and we expected our usage to drop sharply as all our iPlayer and 4OD viewing would be removed from our usage allowance.

As you can probably guess, we never witnessed any drop in usage. It went up in fact, as we watched more catch up tv on the youview box. I have paid an extra £5 every month since receiving the box.

BT completely refuse to believe that it is the Youview box that is using up all our broadband, but there is nothing else it could be (no games consoles, no teenagers etc).

This month in a final attempt to convince them (and be reimbursed) we are watching no catch up through the youview box. I have unplugged the Ethernet cable from the box.

It is the 9th of the month today, and so far the usage monitor hasn't even hit 1gb yet.

I will let you know what BT say at the end of the month.

0 Ratings
Boowip
Beginner
Message 30 of 38

Hi Dan

I am interested to see where you got with this. I am having the same issue at the moment (see recent post).

Cheers

Boowip

0 Ratings