cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 11

BT Box pro sound

Has anyone else noticed  the box pro sound is considerably lower than that of the 4k box? ie If I use the 4k box I set my soundbar to volume 60 with the box pro its 68! Also the 4k sounds different in stereo and surround modes where as  the box pro sounds the same in both.

0 Ratings
10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11

Re: BT Box pro sound

Both issues have been widely reported for probably over a year now.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 11

Thanks Should have stuck with previous box then the only pluses are bigger hdd & recording capability. There is another niggle if I pause for say 5 minutes then fast forward to present time the screen will blackout. With 4k box you just press back and it plays on the pro box you have got to change channel to remove the black screen.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 11

I have exactly the same issue as your "another niggle" which suggests to me that it might be a software issue. Surely it should be relatively easy to correct.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 11

Same here, but searching through here it seems like it's recognised by BT but not fixed.

Surprised others haven't raised this a bit more, sound is significantly worse through the pro box than just through the TV.

Will try a better hdmi cable (currently using the one BT supplied in the box).

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 11

@morris77 in what way is it worse? I never used the old 4k box so not had any ideas on that one.

To me pro box seems okay just little quieter. 

One key difference is up until now all boxes were made by humax. Pro box is made by sagemcom. It is sagems first youview box, so I do expect teething issues still. 

You see, youview is complex. Sagem is responsible for the software the drivers that control the video, sound and hardware in general. Youview is responsible for the main youview software. 

The box essentially runs Linux, which upon booting launches the youview program. From understanding the video playback mechanism it uses is gstreamer.

Mind you, bugs are getting fixed, the surround bug is largely fixed now. Some channels still have forced 5.1 audio but majority don't. 

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 11

Thanks for the reply and comment.

It's a lot quieter, so up into the 40s and 50s rather than 12 to 20 on the volume bar. Obviously, I could live with that as just a case of turning up! But the sound has lost both it's base and crispness too, so feels very... flat?  Speech is slightly muffled and the treble seems to be lost. 

I turned the line out option on yesterday so I could switch between the TVs Freeview and the box. Watching a music special on BBC the difference was significant.

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 11

Interesting. Are you in ip mode or ariel mode? Is it on all channels? 

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 11

I too had an issue with the sound on Pro box, IP mode, the lip sync issues were driving me insane.  I've now got it bearable but it's not perfect.

In stereo mode, the sound is quieter and flat but no lip sync issues. 

In surround, it's louder and the sound is very good and punchy but then I get lip sync issues. 

To get it working the best I could.  I have connected the box into HDMI In on the sound bar, and then from the soundbar to the TV.  However, I now lose 4k because the soundbar does not have 4k pass-through. 

As the video is coming before the sound, sound delay makes it worse, so I've upped the motion smoothing setting on the TV, this seems to have delayed the video slightly to match the sound.

When I had the box connectedd via ARC into the TV the lip sync was really noticeable, I also had the box set to Ultra HD 10 bit, reducing to HD  helped with lip sync but was still noticable.

So the situation is now I have box directly into the sound bar, in surround mode, sound is good and lip sync is bearable, but I can't use the box or my TV to it's full potential.

I do also have an extra mini box, this is connected to an older soundbar. TV optical to the soundbar, no lip sync issue in surround mode., works perfect. 

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 11

I’m glad you’ve posted this. I also have the new BT TV Mini box and don’t have any lip-sync issues. It’s ONLY on the Pro box and I have exactly the same issues as you describe. 

Unfortunately I’ve not been able to crack it and it’s driving me insane. I’ve come over from Sky and never had any issue with their box. Pretty annoying that BT completely ignore this issue. 

0 Ratings