cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Richard543
Beginner
Message 1 of 6

BT Entertainment pack on a retail YouView Box

Hello...I own a retail YouView box, bought before BT started supplying them. At that time I also got a package from BT called BT Vision Player Unlimited. I was on ordinary broadband back then. Now I'm on BT Infinity 2. Recently, I got a letter from BT suggesting that I move from the Vision Player Unlimited package to BT Entertainment Pack. I thought this would be more suitable, so I rang BT and asked to be switched. After 30 minutes of deliberation, BT told me that this would just not be possible - because I had a retail box. I explained that I could already watch BT Sport and could see the additional channels included in the Entertainment Pack on the EPG, but was told it was impossible to switch me.

Is this correct? Do any of the Forum members with a retail box have the Entertainment Pack from BT?

I just can't understand why I can view BT Sport, but can't have access to the other channels if I pay.

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Distinguished Guru
Message 2 of 6

Re: BT Entertainment pack on a retail YouView Box

I agree that it does seem strange (and is confusing to customers).

See my post here.

https://community.bt.com/t5/YouView-box/BTvision-box-not-supported-by-BT/m-p/1148880/highlight/true#...

BT seem to insist on wasting £199 and sending you another box that allows the full choice of services. Not good news if someone unknowingly just spent £160 on a Youview box from Tesco though! I think even BT badged boxes bought directly from the BT online shop are second class boxes as far as BT are concerned.

0 Ratings
ney
Expert
Message 3 of 6

Richard I was the same as you and got the letter the other day as well and I phoned BT and after 16 or 17 mins on phone they told me I would need a box from BT as they can't change my package as I got a retail box. So I said I would take a Youview box from them and upgrade to the entertainment pack and add the HD extra bolt on. I'm also keeping the BT box sets/BT Film and BT music 

Anyway I had to phone BT back yesterday as they sent me a Vision + box by mistake I also notice that the entertainment channels have been activated and are working on my Youview retail box. 

So I don't see why BT say you need one of there boxes for the entertainment channels to work.

I'm now being sent the Youview box BT was ment to send me out in the first place and I'm to return the Vision + box that I never asked for when the BT You view box arrives .

May put one of the boxes in my bedroom.

Darren

0 Ratings
Richard543
Beginner
Message 4 of 6

Thanks to both of you for the information. Doesn't seem a sensible approach from BT but I'm not surprised at that.

I like the comment from ney that the extra channels now work on his retail box after ordering a BT box - shows that there is no technical barrier to what I want. I'll just bide my time and see if things change. If my Youview box dies (I'm on my second box now and the 2 year warrenty runs out in August) then I might order a new one from BT. Thanks again for putting me in the picture.

0 Ratings
Colin_London
Recognised Expert
Message 5 of 6

Yes - there is no technical reason why BT can't sell a package for extra channels on retai lYouview boxes connected to their network via Infinity. Indeed at the time BT Sport launched I received an email from the executive complaints team stating that the solution they were working on would enable both BT Sport and Extra Channels on retail Youview boxes.

As it turned out the BT Player Esssentials solution only permits BT Sport channels. If you want the extra channels they are only selling it if you get another box from them becuase that is what the package includes.

Which of course is wasteful both for those who have bought their own box and for BT who are paying to subsidise an unnecessary second box.

But I suspect this is down to the fact they want people on full price subscriptions, and the extra channels are effectively sold cheaply assuming you have a BT TV subscription. They would also have setup and training costs associated with creating new products for Retail box owners on BT, of which there will be few.

0 Ratings
walkerx
Recognised Expert
Message 6 of 6

I agree it's a total waste of money  - I have two youview boxes, one retail and one bt - yet they both allow the packages I have through BT.

0 Ratings