Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Jiffy1
Contributor
Message 1 of 20

BT Internet channel break up

Go to solution

I have been following a lot of posts about pixellation and total loss of internet channels on my you view box. I have been using a chromecast to watch motogp as my box picture either breaks up or loses picture completely, this also stops recording of said channel no. 431 sometimes. My wife has since been trying to watch internet channels such as TLC and they constantly break up or blank screen. Ookla speedtest shows i have 62mg download speeds, and everything else works perfectly, chromecast, tablets etc. If i post my stats on here from my router, would anyone out there be able to point to a problem. I was helped by a Mod last year, which was very good. Heres hoping. Thanks.IMG_20190109_134115.jpg

0 Ratings
19 REPLIES 19
Jiffy1
Contributor
Message 2 of 20

Re: BT Internet channel break up

Go to solution

I have just done a factory reset, keeping recordings, this has made no difference to picture break up atall. Last night and this morning i did a phone line noise test. There is a noise in the background like a faraway sea, is it supposed to be silent?

0 Ratings
Jiffy1
Contributor
Message 3 of 20

Go to solution
I wonder if a moderator may like to become involved, I'm fairly tech minded, and can post stats etc to help. Been a problem for some time now! Tia.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 20

Go to solution

@Jiffy1 wrote:

I have just done a factory reset, keeping recordings, this has made no difference to picture break up atall. Last night and this morning i did a phone line noise test. There is a noise in the background like a faraway sea, is it supposed to be silent?

Its supposed to be silent.

If there is noise on the line, then you need to report it as a noisy line. Do not mention the broadband or TV problem, otherwise it will end up in the wrong fault queue, and take much longer to be fixed. There are plenty of people who can fix phone faults, but not as many broadband people.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 20

Go to solution

Hi @Jiffy1

Thanks for your posts and welcome back!

Sorry that the BT Sport picture is breaking up on your BT TV service.  Please follow the steps on this link and let me know how you get on: My BT Sport picture keeps breaking up on my set top box

Cheers,

Robbie

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 20

Go to solution

Its advisable to check to see if the noise is present at the test socket, before reporting it.

test socket.jpg

0 Ratings
Jiffy1
Contributor
Message 7 of 20

Go to solution
Thanks Keith, who is it best to report to, also, it's all internet channels, not just by sport. Thanks.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 20

Go to solution

@Jiffy1 wrote:
Thanks Keith, who is it best to report to, also, it's all internet channels, not just by sport. Thanks.

Provided that the noise is present at the test socket, then call 0800 800 151, and report the noisy line. Noise on the line will cause transmission errors, which will affect all multicast services.

Multicast, unlike unicast, does not have end to end error correction. It a bit like broadcast TV.

Its a good idea to follow what @RobbieMac posted, to eliminate other possibilities.

0 Ratings
Jiffy1
Contributor
Message 9 of 20

Go to solution
Thanks Keith, have checked all the other things several times over the years! Do I just say there's a noise like the sea on my line,? But don't mention TV or internet.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 20

Go to solution

@Jiffy1 wrote:
Thanks Keith, have checked all the other things several times over the years! Do I just say there's a noise like the sea on my line,? But don't mention TV or internet.

That is correct, it will ensure that it ends up in the correct queue. BT Retail will run a line test to see if there is an issue with the line itself.

This is not 100% accurate, but its a good starting point, but cannot normally detect a high resistance fault, that would need an Openreach visit.

See how that goes  first, and if it does not get resolved, then one of the moderators here can run a performance check on the broadband connection, and if necessary, ask for a check to be made as far as the YouView box itself.

Start with the simple things first Smiley Wink

0 Ratings