cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Sansom0512
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 9

BT Mini Connectors and BT Sport HD

Hi, new to this forum but struggling to get any help from BT at the moment.

I have 2 YouView boxes which are both connected to ny hub via mini connectors. The box upstairs (furthest from the hub) seems to work fine however the box in the lounge struggles with any internet based channels such as BT Sport HD or Discovery Channel. Even standard definition channels are a struggle.

The mini connectors were changed a couple of weeks ago (due to constantly having to be repaired).

I've just run a temporary ethernet cable to the YouView box downstairs which solved the problem which rules out issues with download speeds, etc. Unfortunatly hard wiring via ethernet permanently isn't a straight forward option so keen to avoid this if i can.

Is there a way of checking/ improving the download speed for when connected via mini connector?

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 9

Re: BT Mini Connectors and BT Sport HD

Welcome to this user forum.

How are the mini connectors connected to the home hub, as you must only have one master connected to the home hub, all the others must be paired with that single one.

0 Ratings
Sansom0512
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 9

The master connector is plugged directly into the hub and then the other 2 connectors were paired with that one as per the set up instructions so hopefully no issues there.

Would expect that if there was a pairing issue then i wouldn't get any channels such as BT sport SD but could be wrong.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 9

I assume you are paying for the multiroom option?

0 Ratings
Sansom0512
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 9

Yes we have the multiroom package. Signal works intermittently but more often than not it’s scrambled
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 9

@Sansom0512 wrote:
Yes we have the multiroom package. Signal works intermittently but more often than not it’s scrambled

Probably just poor communication over the mains wiring. You could check the speed by connecting a laptop on the end, and runnin a speed check.

This may be of interest https://community.bt.com/t5/BT-Devices/Using-a-WiFi-complete-spare-disc-to-hard-wire-into-tv-rather/...

0 Ratings
Sansom0512
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 9

Looks like I have traced the fault back to communication over the mains wiring after running a long ethernet cable between the hub and youview box.

I also moved the mini connector to a different room and connected via long ethernet cable which also fixed the issue. Unfortunatley leaving it hard wired isn't an option as a permanent solution. Strangly the box upstairs is absolutely fine on a mini connector but put this down to being on aseperate ring main.

Is there any alternative to the mini connectors if the mains wiring can't cope with it?

0 Ratings
Sansom0512
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 9

Does anyone know if it's possible to connect the youview box to the network in an alternative method to the powerline adapters or running a cable through the middle of the house?

I've read elsewhere that a bridge may work but don't have any experience or knowledge of these?

0 Ratings
Colin_London
Recognised Expert
Message 9 of 9

The problem is if the mini connectors are on different circuit rings. Not much signal gets across between the rings.

My mini connectors work pretty well but the performance varies through the day. Like you I can’t run a cable easily, although currently planning a renovation and installation of cabling will definitely be part of that plan.
0 Ratings