Go to solution

netflix dns capture2.jpg

Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 12 of 22

Re: BT Parental Controls and Netflix on Youview

Go to solution

netflix dns capture3.jpg

There is probably some overlap, but is possible to identify the root domains for Netflix.

There is other stuff on there, which I think is just the YouView box communicating.

I hope its of help.

NeilG2
Beginner
Message 13 of 22

Go to solution
Hi Keith,

Many thanks, that looks to have solved the issue.

For reference I added the following to the allowed sites list: netflix.com, netflix.cc, nflxso.net youview.tv, edgekey.net, edgesuit.net, nflximg.com,

Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 14 of 22

Go to solution

@NeilG2

Excellent Smiley Happy

I am sure that @NeilO and @JohnC2 will also be interested in this, as it must be affecting other people as well, so they may like to pass it up the chain to the parental controls team.

I will be keeping a note of this thread, as the issue is bound to occur again.

I have found Wireshark useful on many occasions. I have a Netgear GS108E managed switch on the output of my TP Link router, and that feeds all of the devices in the house, apart from wireless ones.

0 Ratings
Message 15 of 22

Go to solution

Hi @NeilG2 thanks for the update and it's good to know how this was fixed  and thanks for the helpful assistance of @Keith_Beddoe 🙂

Cheers
John

0 Ratings
Message 16 of 22

Go to solution

@NeilG2 Brilliant, I'm really glad that has worked for you.

@Keith_Beddoe Many thanks for your help on this thread its much appreciated. I've let our parental controls contact know about the work around as I'm sure this will come up in the future. If you have time would you be able to check what urls the BBC iPlayer is using via wireshark as this app is also restricted when strict parental controls are in place?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 17 of 22

Go to solution

@NeilO wrote:

@NeilG2 Brilliant, I'm really glad that has worked for you.

@Keith_Beddoe If you have time would you be able to check what urls the BBC iPlayer is using via wireshark as this app is also restricted when strict parental controls are in place?

I will try to do it, when I get some time later. Its a bit awkward, as I think you now have to sign in to use it, so we tend not to bother.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 18 of 22

Go to solution

Right, here is the Wireshark DNS capture when the iPlayer app is started on the BT YouView box.

I have not looked at all of the entries in detail, but its not difficult to pick out the ones which are related to the BBC.

If someone who has Parental Controls active, and they are blocking iPlayer, would like to try adding a few of the BBC domains to the allowed list, it should be possible to work out which ones are needed to enable the app to work.

Here are a few

bbci.co.uk

bbc.co.uk

There may be others.

Here are the screenshots for people to look at the entries. Perhaps someone would like to post on this thread, to indicate which ones are actually needed, as it will help the moderators and other forum members.

iplayer1.jpg

iplayer2.jpgiplayer3.jpg

Message 19 of 22

Go to solution

Thanks @Keith_Beddoe this is very much appreciated, @NeilG2 could you try adding the iPlayer urls to the allowed list see if they work?

0 Ratings
NeilG2
Beginner
Message 20 of 22

Go to solution

Adding: 

bbci.co.uk

bbc.co.uk

Worked