cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 8

BT Pro Box - Red Button

Go to solution

Hi Guys,

I have just setup my new BT Pro Box and I've got a quick query.  On the old box I used to got to ch 702 (BBC R2) and I was able to access the old "teletext" using the red button, however this is no longer working with the new box.

Even more puzzling, when I'm on 101 (BBC 1HD) and press the red button I just get a small window pop up at the side with what looks like program suggestions. And on the guide if I go to the "BBC Red Button" channel the "Red" button does nothing ?

Has the interactive "Red" button totally gone?  I really used to enjoy browsing the latest footy news and the headlines whilst having my morning cuppa...

What does the "Red" button actually do now?

Thanks

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8

Re: BT Pro Box - Red Button

Go to solution

Certainly clarity needed here.

I believe the BBC has a Red Button service  (for devices not connected to the  internet) and a Connected Red Button Service that requires a internet connection.

Your experience suggests that the BBC Connected Red Button service  is on the main BBC TV channels but that the BBC Red Button is not .

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 8

Go to solution

The red button where the news, weather sports is not available,on a  connected TV. All you get is the side screen where there is program suggestions and iPlayer is there at the bottom. On a  non connected TV you still get the basic text with page numbers for news, weather, sports. I don't think the old text is on the BT pro box as it's a connected device.. 

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 8

Go to solution

Is it me?

So you get "less" information from a "Connected" device.......

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 8

Go to solution

You can still get both Red Button services on connected TV although I suspect that newer models may only provide the connected red button. That’s why there needs clarity.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/reception/red-button

0 Ratings
SeanD
Community Manager - Retired
Message 6 of 8

Go to solution

Good morning Folks,

Thanks for all the comments and sorry about any confusion caused.

I have raised this question with our TV team and they have provided some clarity.

The BT TV Box Pro doesn’t support the older MHEG technology which was used to deliver the legacy red button services and is limited to providing access to BBC’s connected red button service only. The previous generation boxes do support MHEG so provided access to both MHEG and the connected red button.

@gibbylinks This is why you have been unable to access Teletex like you are used to doing.  I am sorry that this is not possible with the BT TV Box Pro.

Some other info I have received about BBCs connected red button is;

• BBC decide and schedule availability on the connected red button. It’s usually available 24/7, but not always advertised (so pressing red can launch the red button app on BBC One for instance, but might not be shown).
  • BBC do schedule content specific triggers, so can advertise particular events e.g. sport, or at the end of a programme might have a red button showing ‘RED: watch the next episode’ for instance
  • This doesn’t tune to 250, it launches an app overlay on the BBC channel the user is tuned to (e.g. 001), or deep links into iPlayer or BBC Sounds

I hope this helps clear up any confusion.

Cheers

Sean

Message 7 of 8

Go to solution

This answer provides no clarity at all. It's just a load of jargon, acronyms and incomprehensible gibberish. If anything, it makes the situation less clear. It provides no guidance at all about how to actually access the missing red button content. Why is it marked as a "solution"? It solves nothing.

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 8

Go to solution

Simple answer is no you cannot access the old bbci text, on BTTV box it's not capable of doing that.  The only red button service you can get via the red button is the internet connected BBCi if you disconnect your BT box from the internet you might get BBCi text, or if your tv is not connected to the internet you can probably access the old BBCi text that way via your aerial connection.  Or just look at whatever you want to look at via Smartphone, tablet or computer.  .  

0 Ratings