Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Brucemeister5
Contributor
Message 1 of 10

BT Sport HD with Powerline adapters

Go to solution

We have a retail BT Youview+ box and have BT Broadband Infinity 1, but haven't signed up to BT TV. I currently watch BT Sport on the app and also use Chromecast to watch on the tv in the extension at the rear of the house, as my O/H has no interest in sport apart from tennis. I currently pay £5 per month for the app. 

I'm considering signing up to BT TV to watch the sport in the extension, but would need powerline adapters for this as our BT hub is in the lounge plugged into our main phone line socket. If I were to test our retail BT Youview+ box in the extension by seeing whether or not I can receive Channel 399 with powerline adapters, would this be a reliable indicator of whether I would be able to get the BT Sport channels in HD? I understand that the performance of the powerline adapters is very dependent upon the quality of the wiring in the house. I also know that BT would send me one of their boxes depending upon which BT TV package we signed up to. If I went for the starter pack, this would cost £3.50 + £5 for HD for BT Sport. Any advice would be greatly appreciated, particularly as to which powerline adapters to recommend. I'm reluctant to sign up, only to find that It doesn't work at all, or to find that the BT Sport channels will only be received in SD and the picture quality I currently receive via Chromecast is better.

0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
clique-al
Contributor
Message 2 of 10

Re: BT Sport HD with Powerline adapters

Go to solution

Hi Brucemeister5, I've been using BT's broadband extender flex 500 kit (2 - Powerline Adapters) since 2015 with my package infinity 1 & bttv incl bt sport in HD without any issues. Router is situated in my hall plugged into one adapter and the other is connected to my tv / youview+ box in lounge / living room. Trust this will help you. Cheers, Al.

Brucemeister5
Contributor
Message 3 of 10

Go to solution

Ok, thanks for that. Our broadband speed's very good, so if the wiring in the house is up to it, I reckon that the powerline adapters should be able to deliver BT Sport HD. I've ordered some, so I'll give them a go.

0 Ratings
warrior
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 10

Go to solution

Have used the BT500 Flex units for sometime with my Roberts Radios, laptop etc and acquired BT TV with You View box 2 months ago and have enjoyed Sport HD via these units with no issues whatsoever. 

0 Ratings
warrior
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 10

Go to solution

Watched HD sport on BT TV via BT 500 Flex units for 2 months and have had no issues at all. Indeed used these units with internet radios and laptop for ages and delighted with them .

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 10

Go to solution

@Brucemeister5 When you're ordering BT TV you're given the option to add Mini connectors to the order at a reduced price of £20. 

Zombie
Expert
Message 7 of 10

Go to solution

The mini connectors that @NeilO mentioned for £20 when taken with bt tv are very good. I ordered them when I took bt tv out, they have the option to plug two ethernet cables out of the plug so I put an ethernet cable to the bt tv box and one to my smart tv. No problems when recording two hd internet channels on bt tv, whilst watching amazon prime, netflix or YouTube ect in hd on the tv. They seem to cope very well. 

Brucemeister5
Contributor
Message 8 of 10

Go to solution

Thanks for the advice that I've received on here. It seems that BT have developed powerline adapters specifically to deal with delivering their multicast BT TV to customers such as myself, who have a tv in a part of the house which is a long way away from their hub. The only question that remains for me is to find out whether or not the electrics in our extension are compatible with being able to use the powerline adapters. That's why I've ordered some BT mini connectors from Amazon to try out first, and will return them if they don't work. 

Highlighted
siteguru
Expert
Message 9 of 10

Go to solution
Are the power sockets in the extension isolated by a separate MCB in the distribution box, or the same MCB as the other downstairs sockets? (I'm presuming the extension is single storey, and/or the room concerned is on the ground floor).

If the same MCB then it means the extension is on the same ring main, thus the powerline adaptors should work just fine.
Thanks
Ian
http://www.siteguru.co.uk/be/ADSL2PlusForDummies.pdf - Having ADSL issues? Then read this PDF
Please don't click the star beside my name - too many stars makes you look like a swot!
Brucemeister5
Contributor
Message 10 of 10

Go to solution

My parcel from Amazon arrived this morning. I have no idea what the electrician did when he fitted out the garage and new extension, but I'm delighted to say that my BT mini connectors work. I hooked up my laptop first of all to see if I could get online, and then I brought our retail BT Youview+ box through to the extension to see if  I was able to receive Channel 399 on it. The results are very positive and I'll be testing it out again over the next few days before deciding which BT TV package is best for us.

0 Ratings