Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ianonline999
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 9

BT Sport UHD Question - Requirements

Can anyone advise me on the following as im struggling to understand
I purchased a UHD BT Youview box, but I am unable to add the Sport UHD package

My line speed is 39meg, my tv has netflix built in which allows me to watch films, tv series etc all in perfect 4k UHD I can even mirror youtube from my laptop to TV in perfect 4k UHD I am wondering why BT cannot give me the sport ?, I did call up to see if they can manually activate the package and apparently the option is not there to do

Im guessing BT have a minimum bandwidth limit (which must be higher than 39meg), but if Netflix is fine via the TV why wont BT allow me Sport UHD ?

Thanks

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
yellowandgreen
Contributor
Message 2 of 9

Re: BT Sport UHD Question - Requirements

Probably not the best person to answer but I'll have a go.

The way I understand it is: Yes you need a big enough band width as you suggest. You may be able to see 4K, such as Netflix but if you were to have a second box and both were in use at the same time this could create a download issue and BT want a degree of safety.

You don't say if you are watching Netflix through the BT box or direct in your TV.

Anyway, stand to be corrected if wrong.
0 Ratings
jam2000
Expert
Message 3 of 9

Also netflix 4k only uses around 15mbps. But BT sport 4k uses more bandwidth
0 Ratings
ianonline999
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 9

Netflix is direct through inbuilt app in TV

Its a shame BT dont give the option to at the very least try it, im fortunate enough to hve Sky TV if I were to want to watch other channels, BT TV is only for the sport, we love the football, basketball and Moto GP, just would love to watch it in 4k (where games are applicable)

0 Ratings
mrapriliafalco
Contributor
Message 5 of 9

I have sky also,purely down to the bizarre pricing !!!! 
Its far cheaper to have the whole BTTV Package, than adding BT Sport to your sky subscription 

0 Ratings
Telecom89
Recognised Expert
Message 6 of 9

@ianonline999 wrote:

Can anyone advise me on the following as im struggling to understand
I purchased a UHD BT Youview box, but I am unable to add the Sport UHD package

My line speed is 39meg, my tv has netflix built in which allows me to watch films, tv series etc all in perfect 4k UHD I can even mirror youtube from my laptop to TV in perfect 4k UHD I am wondering why BT cannot give me the sport ?, I did call up to see if they can manually activate the package and apparently the option is not there to do

Im guessing BT have a minimum bandwidth limit (which must be higher than 39meg), but if Netflix is fine via the TV why wont BT allow me Sport UHD ?

Thanks

See the following for the minimum line speed required:

https://community.bt.com/t5/YouView-Boxes/Ultra-HD-which-figures-are-used/m-p/1719226

Note that Netflix can buffer a recording before playing as it is not a live broadcast, unlike BT's live Sports where buffering wouldn't be acceptable.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
scointer
Recognised Expert
Message 7 of 9

Netflix is not a live broadcast so therefore can be compressed to a much higher degree than a live broadcast (done at a native 50fps). This live broadcast runs at about 30Mbps at the minute but because your box could also record another HD picture channel at the same time you need to allow another 10Mbps for that plus with a small overhead to allow other people in the house to continue to access the net, BT have declared a minimum 44Mbps as the safe point to stop customer complaints about the service not working as expected. This could improve going forwards as coding improves but for now it is what it is.
skappy70
Recognised Expert
Message 8 of 9

I guess you didn't buy it from BT as they wouldn't have let you order it if your line speed is too low.

0 Ratings
ianonline999
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 9

I did buy it from BT, it was offered to me for £50, I even upgraded my package online 
It wasnt until I recceived the box and plugged it in I realised that 4k was not working so I went back online to see if I needed to activate it and it said it could not be added to my package, hence the call to BT who confirmed it could not be added due to not meeting the min line speed requirement (although they couldnt confirm the speed required)

I asked the operator if he could just activate it anyway for me to at the very least try, but the reply was the system would not allow it

Im not bothered about the fact ive been sold a UHD box, more no 4k and reading the above comments im only 6meg short of receiving it and as I said earlier I have Sky to record other channels if required when viewing BT

Never mind, im sure technology with compresssion will improve

0 Ratings