Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 24

BT Sport Ultimate recordings only have green screen

Go to solution

Youview Device: DTRT4000 (variant 87B08500)

Youview Software: Component - 3.6.236 (7bc855); Manufacturer - 32.47.0 - All software / apps up to date

Broadband: Fibre with BT Halo 1 with a Smart Hub 2 modem / router.  Wired connection to the Youview box via a gigabit ethernet switch.   Quoted download speed of between 64-73 Mbps but getting very variable download speeds of between 12 Mbps (broadbandspeedchecker.co.uk) and 66.7 Mbps (BT.com - giving the same result every time so I am suspicious that the provider is lieing!) but let's assume it is somewhere in the middle.

I assume all the BT Sport channels are broadcast over the internet and not via the aerial?

My problem.  I only have BT Sport (and the Ultimate upgrade) for the rugby.  Since games resumed I have recorded 8 games and all but 1 have captured a green screen and nothing else.  The successful recording had a green screen appear for about 5 minutes in the middle of the recording.  However, I can watch the BT Sport Ultimate absolutely fine with no issues and certainly no green screen.  There are also no other broadband issues in the house (and the kids would let me know if there were).  It's also not an issue of too much usage - last night's recording produced a green screen and we were all out so no one was using the internet.

The successful recording was when the box was on and tuned in to the BT Sport Ultimate channel, so I am going to try that today for the rugby repeats that are showing.  I'm also recording some of the other BT Sport HD channels to see if the lower bandwidth channels work.

Any suggestions for solutions?  Thanks in advance.

0 Ratings
23 REPLIES 23
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 2 of 24

Re: BT Sport Ultimate recordings only have green screen

Go to solution

Hi @DaddyR 

you mention that you are connecting via a switch . Have you tried connecting directly ?

Probably worth listing the model of the switch you are using.

There are several Rugby matches available in the 4K section of the BT Player  for viewing

eg Exeter v Leicester , Bristol v Saracens, Northampton v Wasps , L Irish v Northampton and Leicester v Bath   so you may still be able to watch those games .

Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 24

Go to solution

I am on the phone to support now, there might be a problem with the box (the technician can see some red and amber errors on recordings) so has run a remote reset that hopefully resolves the problem.

If not, I will go for a direct connection out of the wall.  The switch is a TP-Link TL-SG1008D.

I've scheduled the box to record the 3 games being shown today.  It's the last one I care about (I support Bath) so I have time to check if there's a problem.  Thanks for the help.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 4 of 24

Go to solution

Hi @DaddyR 

I don't know if your issue has been sorted yet.

However, a green screen is often an indicator on HDMI devices of a HDCP issue/error

There may be some issue with the HDMI cables, or any other devices you have in the chain, such as your TV, things like a AV Receiver, or even a Sound Bar which is connected via HDMI.

I believe the 4K BT box you have is trying to find a complete HDCP 2.2 chain, any issues along the chain, such as an older AV Receiver can cause an error, and this is normally indicated as a Green Screen.

HDCP is if you don't know is the copy protection system, and get's revised up ever few years.

Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 24

Go to solution

I recorded 3 matches today.  The 1st one appeared to work fine (the BT box was on the Ultimate channel).  The 2nd one only recorded a green screen (the box was on a freeview channel).  The 3rd one only recorded a green screen (the box was on the Ultimate channel).  I was waiting for this last recording so have been able to record it manually and then got back to check and it is working fine (at the moment) with the manual recording.  But that isn't a sustainable solution!

If it was an HDCP issue wouldn't that be a constant problem all of the time?  I can view Ultimate live without issue and (so far) a few of the recordings work fine under certain conditions whilst the majority produce a green screen.  Would the HDCP problem be intermittent?  

Currently the BT box links to a newish Onkyo amp (I can't check if I used the default CBL/SAT input but if I did that is HDCP 2.2 compliant) that links to a newish LG TV - newish is about 2-3 years old.  I can connect the BT box directly to the TV and then feed the sound out through the TV to the amp but it's recording the game I really want to see right now so don't want to mess about with anything!

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 6 of 24

Go to solution

Hi @DaddyR 

So first off, I've been here myself in the past, and HDCP can be a very frustrating experience!

Yes, as you say, if it was an HDCP issue I too would think it would be all the time.

But a Green Screen is a classic HDCP indicator!

So when the game is over, I would suggest this...

Try and connect your BT Box directly to your LG TV, which if it's only 2-3 years old will certainly be HDCP 2.2 compliant, and see how things go, you will have to live with sound via your TV for a couple of days 😞

It will prove one thing, that your amp is the issue.

Good luck, happy to brain storm with you to get it fixed!

*** Edit ***

Forget something, I think if you set the output of your BT 4K to 1080P only, it doesn't require a full HDCP 2.2 chain, however doing so will obviously downscale all your 4K content to 1080p, however, if this works, it will kind off indicate we are looking at a HDCP 2.2 issue somewhere.

Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 7 of 24

Go to solution

@DaddyR 

It's not clear from the specs for this switch whether it supports IGMP Snooping. I'm inclined to think that it doesn't.

What happens with a switch that doesn't support IGMP Snooping is that all ports on the switch get flooded with the multicast stream and can cause problems for other devices on the switch.

With an IGMP enabled switch only the requesting port gets the stream.

Whether this relevant in your case I don't know but it might be so I offer it.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 8 of 24

Go to solution

@DaddyR 

I've re-read your issue.

A Green Screen a classic indicator of a HDCP issue.

A Pink Screen is a classic issue of a HDMI handshaking issue.

But there is something in your original message that worries me.

You said "Quoted download speed of between 64-73 Mbps but getting very variable download speeds of between 12 Mbps (broadbandspeedchecker.co.uk) and 66.7 Mbps (BT.com - giving the same result every time so I am suspicious that the provider is lieing!)"

And you are right, however, let me share something with you that I have learnt.

And this is through my own experience.

When you run a BT Broadband speed test it checks and reports the speed from the BT network to your BT router, NOT to your PC/Laptop/Tablet. it only reports the speed to your BT router.

However, when you use a Third party speed checker, such as (broadbandspeedchecker.co.uk) they tend to check the speed from your Internet connection to your PC/Laptop.

So, @zulu17 

And @TimCurtis 

Might have a good point.

That is, there can be a huge difference between the broadband speed to your BT router,  compared to the speed to devices connected to your BT Router.

Hope this makes sense? 🙂

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 24

Go to solution

Thanks everyone for your continued help.  

I tried an experiment earlier, as something about my previous test irked me.

I recorded a BT Sport HD channel and the BT Sport Ultimate channel at the same time and made sure both recordings were fine.  I then turned the TV off (which automatically turns the amp off) and left it for 30 minutes or so before turning the TV on (which turns the amp on).  Both recordings stopped when the TV was turned off.  The HD channel just showed a stuttering / pixelated view.  The Ultimate channel showed the green screen (with gray horizontal lines).  When I fast forwarded to the time the TV was turned back on both pictures recovered.

To me, that suggests something is going to sleep when the TV / amp is off, suggesting the problem is to do with the HDMI connections not the internet / broadband (as that is directly connected to the BT box)?  Does that make sense?  Tomorrow I am going to change the cable configuration to see if that has an impact.

And the BT box is connected to a HDCP 2.2 enabled input on the amp.

I'm not sure I understand the IGMP point but I do understand that the broadband speed my device receives is different to the router.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 10 of 24

Go to solution

Hi @DaddyR 

Have you tried using the Box to record when connected direct to the Hub ie without going via the switch ? It would be good to determine whether having the switch in the loop or not  makes any difference ?

As for broadband speed measurements  depending where you measure from they will be dependent on what other use is active , eg for example there is a multicast stream allocated.