Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
49Chris
Beginner
Message 1 of 4

BT Sport not available on Youview Box when using 3rd Party Router AEBS

Just been told by BT Engineer that my newly received BT youview box will not show BT sport with a non BT router.

Is there a work around so that I can watch BT sport using the BT Youview+ box when connected (via ethernet switch) to Apple Airport Time capsule or do I have to return the the Youview box.

I have an old HH5 but dont want to use it as I use time capsule to back up various Macs.

any assitance greatly appreciated

0 Ratings
3 REPLIES 3
robert1997
Aspiring Expert
Message 2 of 4

Re: BT Sport not available on Youview Box when using 3rd Party Router AEBS

Have you tried it? I use a different 3rd party router with no issues to date.

***SCRATCH THAT***

Detailed reply from @4KMarty below which should be what you need.

0 Ratings
4KMarty
Aspiring Expert
Message 3 of 4

@49Chris wrote:

Just been told by BT Engineer that my newly received BT youview box will not show BT sport with a non BT router.

Is there a work around so that I can watch BT sport using the BT Youview+ box when connected (via ethernet switch) to Apple Airport Time capsule or do I have to return the the Youview box.

I have an old HH5 but dont want to use it as I use time capsule to back up various Macs.

any assitance greatly appreciated

You cannot use the Time capsule as your router if you want to watch the channels, it lacks support for the necessary Multicast streaming technology BT uses.

HOWEVER...

If you reconnect the HH5 and use that as your router, it is possible to connect the Time capsule to the HH5 via an ethernet cable and either switch off the HH's wifi signal and use the Time capsule's or, better IMO, to switch off the Time capsule's wifi signal by putting it into bridge mode and using the HH's. 

This is what I do and will allow you to still back up your various Macs and use the BT channels. 

Instructions on how to do it can be found in the Apple site / forums. 

49Chris
Beginner
Message 4 of 4

Thanks for quick response.

To clarify

existing set up.

Open Reach modem connected to Airport Time Capsule 7.7.7 connected to TP link 8 port Gigabit switch via cat 6 cable. From switch various devices such as TV, XBox, ATV, fireTv and Youview+ connected.

Suggested set up (if I understand correctly!)

Remove Open reach modem, replace with HH5, turn off WIFI

connect Airport time capsule to HH5 and use Time capsule as router with Youview box still connected (via switch) to TC?

or can I

Open reach modem to TC, connected to switch (via cable) and put HH5 (wifi off) between switch and Youview box?

thank you in anticipation

0 Ratings