cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
sav
Contributor
Message 11 of 21

Re: BT Sport through YouView without Infinity

What is now getting on my nerves is a lack any moderators reply in confirming or not confirming issues.

I know this is a public forum but you would expect a member of staff to acknowledge peoples concerns.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
kevinbrighton
Aspiring Contributor
Message 12 of 21

I've been on the phone to BT today, and they told me they are aware of the problem with misinformation being communicated to customers.

The Youview box definitely CANNOT receive BT Sport, as it has no way to unscramble the encrypted broadcast. They are sending me out a Vision+ box with a viewing card, which I will receive in five working days.

This is a disappointment, as the Youview box is better hardware, but the biggest frustration is being told it would work, not by one, but by two members of staff on different occasions.

0 Ratings
sav
Contributor
Message 13 of 21

do you have to send the Youview back mate

0 Ratings
Squuiid
Message 14 of 21

How do BT Infinity users with YouView unscramble BT Sport then?! BT's response to you stating that the YouView boxes can't unscramble BT Sport channels is incorrect.
The BT Vision box is garbage.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 15 of 21

Youview specification doesn't include CAM functionality that would be necessary to decrypt the Sports channels that are transmitted over the aerial. Thats a Youview decision  rather than a BT specific one . Youview does handle IPTV channels and BT determines which channels you are entitled to recieve over your broadband based upon which you subscribe to. The  BT IPTV channels require the subscriber to have Infinity due to their current multicast strategy of getting the broadcast over the network  to your box.

0 Ratings
Travelstar
Contributor
Message 16 of 21

@Ectophile wrote:

It is possible to watch BT Sport through an ADSL connection if the speed is fast enough.  This is generally only an option if:

1. You are in an Infinity area, but your cabinet hasn't been done yet, and
  2. The exchange is multicast enabled, and
  3. Your broadband speed will be comparable to the lowest end of Infinity (about 15M).

This isn't generally advertised.  It's a workaround by BT to keep some customers who would otherwise be without the sports channels.

Are you 100% sure about this? My exchange has been upgraded, but despite living in the centre of the west end of London, BT have advised me that it won't ever be commercially feasible to upgrade the cabinet in our area (there is only one cabinet upgraded in our ward in total) and that we need to apply for funding from the rural broadband fund!

Back to the question at hand: as our exchange is upgraded, I'd be quite keen to get some of the linear IPTV HDTV channels which our 15Mbit/sec broadband should in theory be able to cope with. Who do I need to speak to at BT to arrange this?

0 Ratings
kiteboygriff
Contributor
Message 17 of 21

Hi all just wondering this 

Just about to order normal BT broadband - not infinity

We live in an infinity area but my sistter wants cheap (im ordering for her)!!! So ADSL is the way to go for her

Now im trying to get cashback through topcashback and when doing that there is no option for BT sport through the TV at all...... but when going straight online to order the same thing there is an option to add a £10 one off free for the youview card

Do you think if I get the cashback then later on update the account to add sport through the TV it will be ok? Will that work

Thanks all

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 18 of 21

BT Sport is not available on YouView except with infinity, you can only access BT Sport through an aerial with a Vision Box as this is the only one with a card slot.

BTLife | 1967 Plus Radio | 1000 Classical Hits
Someone Solved Your Question?
Please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
Helpful Post?
If a post has been helpful, say thanks by clicking the ratings star.
0 Ratings
kiteboygriff
Contributor
Message 19 of 21

Yes your right just checked and the online one is a vision box that comes with BT sport

0 Ratings
Seamaster
Aspiring Expert
Message 20 of 21

The best alternative for those with YouView but plain old ADSL is to get the BT Sport app for iOS, and Airplay it to your TV via Apple TV.

(This is a USP for BT, as Sky won't allow it.)

0 Ratings