cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 5

BT TV Box Mini - Stream / Content Latency

Hi all,

Looking to find out if there is a delay in content delivery for example when watching live sport on the new BT TV Box Mini vs content on the main BT TV box. Essentially trying to justify using the BT Sport App or getting Multi-Room capabilities. 

Aware Sky for example has a 20+ seconds delay on content for their multi-room devices.

Thanks!! 

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5

Re: BT TV Box Mini - Stream / Content Latency

Hi @bakerloou thanks for posting, the BT TV Mini box displays the same multicast stream on your broadband as the main box so there is no delay.

Thanks

Neil

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 5

Thanks for the speedy response Neil,

I guess that means that any delay on the standard stream on my youview 4k box now, will be identical to the content on a mini box? 

Have always noticed Sky users get the content a few seconds earlier when alerted by friends to a goal for example but that I can deal with! 

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 5

@bakerloou No problem, yes that's correct both boxes display the same stream.  The BT TV internet-provided channels use multicast technology that transmits a single stream which is distributed to all the BT TV boxes at the same time across the network.

Thanks

Neil

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 5

@bakerloou I think the difference is that Sky Q picks up the satellite feed and then streams it through the internal network which introduces a delay. The BT TV mini's connect directly to your WiFi and pick up the multicast broadcast that comes in to the house rather than rebroadcasting...