cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 191 of 433

Alexa and bt pro box

Can you use an Alexa echo dot with the new bt pro box I have looked and cannot see any setting for it

0 Ratings
Message 192 of 433

Re: BT TV Box Pro - comments/questions

@peskdale61 You may need to switch this off on the input you are using for the stb box on your onkyo amp. I have never liked the Cec stuff (or all the different names the different companies have for it) I certainly have it turned off on my kit and it all works fine (LG tv, Denon amp and Harmony elite remote).

0 Ratings
Message 193 of 433

@scointer I’d like to, but unfortunately not an option. I can only it turn off globally on my amp, which would break other features like lipsync and ARC between the amp and TV.

I have now taken the measure of ripping out one of the pins of the HDMI cable plugged into the BT box. This has worked, but is obviously a rather extreme measure to have to take.

———

However, it does not change the fact that if BT are going to have their box send CEC commands, they need to have a way for the user to turn it off when it’s unwanted.

When I press the on button, I want it to do one thing and one thing only… turn on the box!

0 Ratings
Message 194 of 433

Hi guys

I'm thinking of upgrading from my T4000 to the pro box.

It looks like the surround sound upmixing issues are being worked on so i can live with that for a while, so just a couple of questions;

1. Can anyone confirm if netflix atmos is actually output in dolby atmos on the new box? (i know it should be, but is it!)
  2. What are the video output options on the pro box, i.e. does it upscale everything to 4k, or let you choose 4k or HD like the T4000, or ideally just let you output in 'native' format with no upscaling (so that the tv can do any upscaling instead and probably make a lot better job of it). 

Thanks

0 Ratings
Message 195 of 433

@Steeve wrote:

Hi guys

I'm thinking of upgrading from my T4000 to the pro box.

It looks like the surround sound upmixing issues are being worked on so i can live with that for a while, so just a couple of questions;

1. Can anyone confirm if netflix atmos is actually output in dolby atmos on the new box? (i know it should be, but is it!)
  2. What are the video output options on the pro box, i.e. does it upscale everything to 4k, or let you choose 4k or HD like the T4000, or ideally just let you output in 'native' format with no upscaling (so that the tv can do any upscaling instead and probably make a lot better job of it). 

Thanks

1. Atmos - yes.

2. You can choose the resolution and bit depth.  The box does the upscaling. Most TVs aren't great at constantly switching resolutions - the whole screen goes blank whilst it resets. This would make for a horrible experience when channel hopping.

0 Ratings
Message 196 of 433

Re: Alexa and bt pro box

Yes. Same here. Setting my new Pro box up but there is no "voice control" option in the box setting menus as required by the app to enter a pairing code - only "Mobile Devices" and "Bluetooth Remote" where the voice control option used to be!

0 Ratings
Message 197 of 433

@DarrenDev
Thanks for the response.

Just to clarify, for atmos i was specifically asking about the output for the netflix app not the box generally. Is that what you mean?

For the native video output i'm sure other stb's (none BT) offer (or used to) a native/passthrough option so the tv could do the upscaling. Maybe my memory is shot but i don't remember seeing a screen blink if they did.

A remote button shortcut to switch the box between HD and 4K output would be handy rather than going through settings like in the T4000. As most of the content i view is HD i'd probably use that as my default output option, and then either switch the box to 4k output for 4k content (or just live with the box downscaling to HD and then the tv re-upscaling to 4k).

If the new pro box does a fantastic job of upscaling to 4K on a par with the upscaling done on a decent 4k tv then i'll be happy for the pro box to do all the upscaling and just set it to 4k output. Guess i'll have to wait and see for that.
0 Ratings
Message 198 of 433

Re: Alexa and bt pro box

Same here. Setting my new Pro box up but there is no "voice control" option in the box setting menus as required by the app to enter a pairing code - only "Mobile Devices" and "Bluetooth Remote" where the voice control option used to be!
0 Ratings
Message 199 of 433

@Steevewrote:
@DarrenDev
Thanks for the response.

Just to clarify, for atmos i was specifically asking about the output for the netflix app not the box generally. Is that what you mean?

For the native video output i'm sure other stb's (none BT) offer (or used to) a native/passthrough option so the tv could do the upscaling. Maybe my memory is shot but i don't remember seeing a screen blink if they did.

A remote button shortcut to switch the box between HD and 4K output would be handy rather than going through settings like in the T4000. As most of the content i view is HD i'd probably use that as my default output option, and then either switch the box to 4k output for 4k content (or just live with the box downscaling to HD and then the tv re-upscaling to 4k).

If the new pro box does a fantastic job of upscaling to 4K on a par with the upscaling done on a decent 4k tv then i'll be happy for the pro box to do all the upscaling and just set it to 4k output. Guess i'll have to wait and see for that.

@Steeve 

I can't advise whether atmos is available from the Netflix app, however, I did notice that all netflix content is output at 50fps which is the worst possible refresh rate for most of the netflix content (24p) You get judder, so from your other questions, I suspect you see the image quality as important, you would probably want to watch Netflix from a different device anyway.

On a positive note, I notice the upscaling on this box is excellent and I actually see a slight improvement over my TV's upscaling (obviously subjective) which is a Sony KD65AF8 OLED . So I just leave it on 4k.

Message 200 of 433

Yes - Atmos plays fine from Netflix on the Pro box.

I've never seen a device that offers a native/pass through option for video scaling - I'm not even sure what video standard would be available to pass through like that. It's available for audio though.

I've never had any issues with the upscaling, but YMMV.
0 Ratings