Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 221 of 433

Re: BT TV Box Pro - comments/questions

That's a fair comment but once the sound is sorted the pro box Is far superior 

0 Ratings
Message 222 of 433

Yes, Deano. I do like the remote, and the picture quality. Looking forward to a software update. Using the older box, overall is more satisfying atm, as the pro box stereo is rather flat.
0 Ratings
Message 223 of 433

It was confirmed last week that stereo audio sources are incorrectly having a pseudo surround sound effect applied by the headend. A config change was tested earlier this week to correct this, and tests were successful. I don't yet have a date for when the change will be applied to live channels (it won't require any update to set top boxes). That'll fix the dodgy surround, but I'm not sure what it'll do for the audio sounding "flat". Need to wait and see.

Message 224 of 433

When the box converts stereo sound from Freeview SD channels to Dolby Digital, it is losing the Dolby prologic information present in the original broadcast stream. This also applies to HD channels when they are not broadcasting in 5.1.

Because of this there is no sound from the centre speaker or rear speakers in a 5.1 setup. As others have said, it would be much better to pass through the original audio stream, as previous BT boxes and the Huawei boxes do. 

Also, if switching to stereo audio over HDMI, there is a loss of audio volume of about 6db. compared to the surround setting (this is with the box volume at full) and also compared to the previous boxes.

Message 225 of 433

Agreed. The box needs to be passing on stereo content (regardless of being delivered by Freeview or IP) to the AV receiver, rather than doing any conversion to it.

The whole purpose of an AV receiver is to manage audio, and different viewers will prefer different methods of listening to stereo content on a 5.1 setup. A set top box shouldn't be forcing how the user should be listening to the content.

A lot of stereo content on TV is downmixed by the broadcasters from 5.1 using ProLogic, can be upmixed back to surround sound by almost any AV reciever. This has been the standard for decades.

But this requires the AV reciever to actually be receiving a stereo signal from the source device. By re-encapsulating the stereo audio into a 5.1 Dolby signal, as the new Pro box does, this is preventing the AV receiver from doing this upmix.

@DarrenDev- if audio always being output as DD+ 5.1 is classed as "by design" by the dev team, then is is a poor design and should be reconsidered. I'm not sure what problem the team thought it was resolving, but it is severely limiting the listening enjoyment of stereo content for those of us with surround sound setups. The previous generation of YouView boxes handle this correctly, and as I would expect any device from any manufacturer to do. What is being done on the new Pro box is abnormal, and very much goes against the standard norms of AV setups.

If the dev team are determined to keep everything in DD+, rather than switching to native PCM for stereo content, then the box should at least be re-encapsulating these to DD+ 2.0 rather than the current DD+ 5.1 behaviour. This would still allow AV receivers to then upmix as preferred by the viewer.

Message 226 of 433

I just hope the problem can be fixed with a firmware update rather than needing a hardware revision.

0 Ratings
Message 227 of 433

Just tried a software update and the box started downloading one - now on 0.4.212

The only change I can find is that WiFi has now been enabled. Tried it here and it is working fine but seems to only work with a 5GHz connection. 2.4GHz networks are not even offered in the list. WiFi is only available after removing the Ethernet lead.

I use a Hub6 and it has connected fine and is streaming the UHD channels with no issue.

You can reinsert the Ethernet cable to restore that link and if you remove it again it remembers your last Wifi setup and reconnects to that.

I'll hunt around for anything else but can't see anything obvious.

---------------------------------------------------------------
Fibre 2 Unlimited using EE Smart Hub 2 with EE TV Box Pro (UHD/HDR) in IP mode.
Message 228 of 433

It will not work as the Pro box has a Bluetooth remote and the TV is Infered, the system are incompatable.

The bluetooth is better as you do not need to point the control at the unit.

0 Ratings
Message 229 of 433

That s what I was told but have not tested that so far as the box does not work well, hopefully that will be sorted soon.
0 Ratings
Message 230 of 433

Not sure which post you're replying to @pcpete, but the Pro box remote has both Bluetooth and Infrared.
0 Ratings