cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 7

BT TV Box Pro - fastforward isn't

Hi,

Does anyone know why the Fast Forward (and rewind probably, but less important) isn't a moving picture? By this I mean any other device I've used (including my TV, natively) will, say, FF x2 by showing a moving image animated at twice the speed of the original - Usain Bolt runs the 100m in 5 seconds; you see him running. With the 'Pro' box you get a still frame every second or so; it's not "fast forward" as you'd experience, even on a Betamax VCR 40 years ago. It's the same for any of the speeds (which perhaps should be called 'jumps'). Whilst this isn't much of an issue for most TV, with sport, it ruins the ability to FF to a point in the action, as you don't know "where you are" in the event.

This issue is made twice as bad by the semi-transparent overlays at the top and bottom of the screen, which masks the crucial information areas for sport (e.g. scores and time) so as you jump forward you don't known what the match time is or the score, and have to hit 'play' to find these out. The overlay bars never disappear, and cover about 40% of the screen, yet offer almost no useful information. The top one just shows the current time (something easily found by other means) rather than anything useful. Why not show the image time, at least then you'd be able to know what time the still image you are seeing represents. The progress bar is little use when the event is several hours long, as the bar doesn't display "offset from now" as a figure.

I'm sure the box is capable of showing animated images (it does it quite often) but I can't think of any other STB that offers no real FF capability. Maybe it's a YouView feature, as I've never had one before this.

This seems quite unusual for the flagship BT TV box.

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7

Re: BT TV Box Pro - fastforward isn't

Hi

I have the same problem (jumping FF) which does not happen with the previous Humax box. It jumps at either 2 or 3 seconds intervals. I'm really surprised by this poor, degraded FF facility.

Another issue, I have, is that the Fast Forward and Rewind can 'stall' especially at x2 speed where it does nothing and is effectively paused!

Not impressed by these Fast Forward and Rewind idiosyncrasies on what is, as MikeFL says, is the 'flagship BT TV box'!

Message 3 of 7

My BT TV Pro box sits, unplugged, by the side of my TV where it has done for the last 6 months. It's just not a great offering, the only positive being its HbbTV capability, but as I can't receive channels with an aerial, that's of minimal use. I stick to the native Now and BT Sport apps on my Samsung TV, which are better than the Pro box provides. I lose out on recording content, but who records live sport?

A Freesat recordable box is much more capable (altho suffers from the same "say all sound is DD+" audio issue); better yet, get an Enigma2 box and be in control of everything.
0 Ratings
Message 4 of 7

Obviously don't remember back a few years when there was no FF/REW at all on the internet channel recordings.

Presumably it is down to the technology used but I see similar behaviour on many of the Youtube channels and other apps on my Chromecast dongle. Can't comment on the likes of SkyQ or Virgin as had no experience of them.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 7

Hi gomezz, actually I was referring to a recording, from a terrestrial channel via an aerial, and I think the original poster, MikeFI, may have been too.

My previous BT Humax box Fast Forwards perfectly, however the new box is more responsive for most functions.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 7

If it is a DTT channel recording then yes that is an oddity. I don't have the Pro but an older 4000T box which doesn't exhibit this behaviour you describe on DTT recordings.
0 Ratings
Message 7 of 7

It is a DTT channel recording. I have a DTRT2100 that also doesn't exhibit this behavior.

I'd be interested to know if anybody else, with a BT TV Box Pro, does NOT display this FF jumping behavior?

0 Ratings