Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
GaryE2000
Beginner
Message 1 of 10

BT TV Box

Hi,

On the 14th July, I signed up to BT Infinity & the BT TV (Starter Package).

The Hub 5 & BT TV boxes are due to be delivered today & Infinity will be installed on the 28th July. However, I’ve just discovered that the BT TV box doesn’t come with a scart connection; it will only connect via HDMI. My TV only has 2 scart sockets at the back & RYW cable slot at the side, 1 of the scart sockets is currently used for the Sky box.

I telephoned BT this morning, firstly speaking with someone who didn’t know what HDMI was, she started to explain about HD channels. Then after several attempts, she put me on hold to transfer me to the technical team, but came back 2 minutes latter; to inform me that the box would have an adapter to connect it to a scart socket on my TV.

When I queried this, I was eventually transferred to someone on the technical team; who confirmed that this box would only have the HDMI connection. I was informed that I wouldn’t be able to purchase a BT TV box separately; I would need to upgrade my current package; which I couldn’t do until the 29th July. She wouldn’t go through what package I would need for this new box; but insisted that everything would be explained in her call back on the 29th.

It seems ridiculous that I have to wait until the 29th to sort out this issue & then having to wait until a replacement box is sent out. I don’t really need a box that records programs; I was just looking for a box that would let me watch the BT Sport’s package.

Tags (3)
0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
Guru
Message 2 of 10

Re: BT TV Box

Hi, here is a link regarding the Youview Boxes - the only one which can connects via a scart is the Humax Box (second down on the left). If you want to use the starter Youview Box which doesn't record then you could purchase a HDMI to scart adapter.
The BT order system does not allow, for whatever reason, more than one order on an account at one time, hence the delay.
http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/43928/kw/Youview%20box/c/348,6239

Stew
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Telecom89
Recognised Expert
Message 3 of 10

Can you daisy-chain kit? Does the Sky box have an HDMI-in socket at all?

Do you have kit you could connect to the other SCART socket that has an HDMI input - maybe a DVD player?

Obviously the long term solution is to get a newer to TV - with HDMI ports!

To save messing about can I suggest you sign-up for the Starter pack BUT actually get yourself the following:

BT Humax T1000 YouView box - there are lots on ebay

Note that only the T1000 has the built-in SCART connectivity.

You could then sell your new, unused BT Starter box to make it cost-neutral for you, with the caveat that used equipment won't have a warranty. The T1000 has a recording facility as well, which is nice bounus.

0 Ratings
GaryE2000
Beginner
Message 4 of 10

Hi,

Thanks for the help.

Would you be able to offer any advice on the following:

1. Could you recommend a good HDMI to scart adapter?

2. Was the BT rep correct, when she said I couldn’t purchase the Humax box separately; that I would need to upgrade my TV package to receive it?

3. Do you know if there will be any extra charges for swapping the two boxes over, other than the monthly charge if the package changes?

0 Ratings
ney
Expert
Message 5 of 10

The starter box only comes with HDMI and can't recorded live TV.

If You want the Youview G4 box you will have to upgrade your TV package. Then BT would send You a G4 box but really any Youview + box will work as long as you got any of the other BT TV packages but BT insist on sending out a Youview + box. 

I had the old style BT Youview + box but earlier this year bought the G4 box from Curry's and now use that with BT TV and use the old Youview box as a Freeview recorder and for the free catch up players on another TV.

Don't know if there will be a charge for swapping your boxes but I would not have thought so as long as your upgrading and tell them you need a G4 box as you only have the starter but but BT may already know this.

Also make sure you get them to add the BT sports pack when you upgrade and take a new contact if you want to continue to get the full BT sports pack for free.

Darren

0 Ratings
Telecom89
Recognised Expert
Message 6 of 10

@Telecom89 wrote:

Can you daisy-chain kit? Does the Sky box have an HDMI-in socket at all?

Do you have kit you could connect to the other SCART socket that has an HDMI input - maybe a DVD player?

Obviously the long term solution is to get a newer to TV - with HDMI ports!

To save messing about can I suggest you sign-up for the Starter pack BUT actually get yourself the following:

BT Humax T1000 YouView box - there are lots on ebay

Note that only the T1000 has the built-in SCART connectivity.

You could then sell your new, unused BT Starter box to make it cost-neutral for you, with the caveat that used equipment won't have a warranty. The T1000 has a recording facility as well, which is nice bounus.

I am incorrect. The BT T2100 also has SCART connectivity. It's just the Starter boxes and the Ultra HD box that don't have SCART connectivity. Apologies for the confusion.

0 Ratings
Telecom89
Recognised Expert
Message 7 of 10

@GaryE2000 wrote:

Hi,

Thanks for the help.

Would you be able to offer any advice on the following:

1. Could you recommend a good HDMI to scart adapter?

2. Was the BT rep correct, when she said I couldn’t purchase the Humax box separately; that I would need to upgrade my TV package to receive it?

3. Do you know if there will be any extra charges for swapping the two boxes over, other than the monthly charge if the package changes?

1. Not really. Suggest you have a look on amazon/ebay and make sure you know exactly what you are buying. This might work out more hassle than just getting a different box.

2. AFAIK this is correct BUT there's nothing to stop you sourcing your own recording box with a SCART connection and hooking this up instead of your Starter box.

3. No idea. The recording box (The YouView+ box - the '+' indicating recording capability) is £10/month but includes a lot of extra channels. Suggest you call and ask. I would doubt it but best to check with BT directly. This box DOES have a SCART socket.

-- Just noticed that the new customer deal at the moment is a recording YouView+ box for £10/month, no TV activation fee with 25 Premium Channels AND HD Extra Free for 12 months - HD a moot point for you if you are going to connect via SCART, but if you think you'll be getting a new TV with HDMI sockets sometime in the next 12 months why not ask? They can only say no.

0 Ratings
D-ave
Expert
Message 8 of 10

@Telecom89 wrote:

I am incorrect. The BT T2100 also has SCART connectivity. It's just the Starter boxes and the Ultra HD box that don't have SCART connectivity. Apologies for the confusion.

I have just noticed this on my new UHD box and it is unacceptable to me as RF and analogue audio connectivity is important to me.

What they have done is remove the SCART and phono video and audio sockets from the 2100, move the HDMI, USB, ethernet and SP/DIF sockets into the space created (away from the mains power supply), and install a cooling fan, or a bigger power supply with fan, into the space created next to the previous power supply.

I was informed by BT when I ordered the UHD service that the new box was the same as the 2100 except for the addition of UHD capability. Well it isn't... and this, added to the provision still of *only* RF pass-thru via coax (with no output from the box itself) makes this box unacceptable to me. Others will be caught out by this so beware!

Fortunately, I still have a week or so to find an acceptable solution or cancel the deal, I need BT to provide or fund an HDCP compliant HDMI-to-phono or SCART splitter/adapter box and will be in touch with them soon. I shall post more when I know more.

0 Ratings
scointer
Recognised Expert
Message 9 of 10

I have been using component and hdmi plus optical only for over 10 years now. I would have thought personally it was totally adequate to not have legacy (very) connections on a brand new state of the art UHD box. But everyone has thier own needs/expectations..

0 Ratings
D-ave
Expert
Message 10 of 10

There is still a lot of old but good quality non-digital gear around in many homes and a lot of old RF distribution cabling  is still in use, too.

They just need to tell people about the changes (connections removal and restrictions) before they sign up, and offer a plugin box solution for those who want it.  Simples!

0 Ratings