Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
kevman
Beginner
Message 1 of 7

BT TV Channels pixellating and stuttering

Any router experts out there please? 

I have just joined BT and have a BT Smart Hub and Youview+ box.  Broadband dowload is 51.57Mbps and upload is 8.01Mbps.

The hub is in the study and has a wired ethernet from the Smart Hub through to the lounge where it is connected to a Netgear DG834G v4 router with latest software on board. Wireless internet access is fine in the lounge and iPlayer, Netflix etc work fine on the Youview+ box, however the BT TV channels are unwatchable due to freezing and pixellation.

Removing the Netgear router and connecting the ethernet cable direct to the Youview box results in BT TV without any problems so it is the router causing the trouble. It's ip address is set to 192.168.1.1 and DHCP is off.

Is the DG834G router not compatible with multicasting or can anyone suggest any configuration settings to try?

Thanks

Kevin

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
PEMforumReg
Contributor
Message 2 of 7

Re: BT TV Channels pixellating and stuttering

I had a problem when I added a Now TV box to the unbranded switch I also had the BT UHD box connected to.  The BT broadband channels would drop and pixillate.  The switch was connected to the BT Hub

In my case, I found through experiment that changing the switch to a Netgear unit I had available cured the problem.  It was nothing to do with download or my home network speed

I'd suggest trying an experiment with the Hub connected direct to the BT TV box, and then if thats OK, the problem is probably the router

Im not completely sure if you can connect a router to the Hub as you may get conflicts (the Hub is a router too), but your netgear may be configurable

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 7

Why do you need another router? The hub 6 is a modem/router.

Adding another device is almost certain to stop the multicast data.

If you are just using it as a switch, then its unlikely to work.

If you do need an extra switch, then use something like the NETGEAR GS105E which will route muticast data properly as its a managed switch.

See this post https://community.bt.com/t5/Connected-Devices-Other/Bt-Vision-box-and-netgear-switch/m-p/1687315#M13...

0 Ratings
PEMforumReg
Contributor
Message 4 of 7

Sorry, just realised you had tried that!

0 Ratings
TimCurtis
Recognised Expert
Message 5 of 7

Are you using it as a combined switch/wireless extender because wireless reception there is poor?

Can't say whether that old Netgear is multicast compatible but I used an Asus RT-N66U for exactly the same purpose & that worked very well in that role.

0 Ratings
kevman
Beginner
Message 6 of 7

@kevman wrote:

Any router experts out there please? 

I have just joined BT and have a BT Smart Hub and Youview+ box.  Broadband dowload is 51.57Mbps and upload is 8.01Mbps.

The hub is in the study and has a wired ethernet from the Smart Hub through to the lounge where it is connected to a Netgear DG834G v4 router with latest software on board. Wireless internet access is fine in the lounge and iPlayer, Netflix etc work fine on the Youview+ box, however the BT TV channels are unwatchable due to freezing and pixellation.

Removing the Netgear router and connecting the ethernet cable direct to the Youview box results in BT TV without any problems so it is the router causing the trouble. It's ip address is set to 192.168.1.1 and DHCP is off.

Is the DG834G router not compatible with multicasting or can anyone suggest any configuration settings to try?

Thanks

Kevin

Just to clarify. The wired netgear router in the lounge also provides wi-fi for that end of the house.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 7

@kevman wrote:

Just to clarify. The wired netgear router in the lounge also provides wi-fi for that end of the house.

Then I would advise that you do not use the switch part of the Netgear router.

You will have to connect a proper Ethernet switch to the remote connection from the home hub, and connect the Netgear and YouView box to that. The switch I mentioned will be just fine.

Or run a separate connection from another port of the home hub, directly to the YouView box.

The Netgear is interfering with the multicast stream.

0 Ratings