Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
pekingduck
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 18

BT TV Extra Box

Hi,

I recently ordered an extra box so that I can watch BT TV in my bedroom.  It has arrived this morning, but I am unsure how I go about setting it up.  I have been on the "chat online" with BT and they told me that I have to request an engineer to come out.  Is this correct.  Any help anyone can give, would be most appreciated 🙂

0 Ratings
17 REPLIES 17
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 18

Re: BT TV Extra Box

@pekingduck 

You just need to connect it to your TV aerial and BT Home hub, you should not need a visit.

How is your existing box connected to the home hub?

This page may help http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/48891/~/can-i-watch-bt-tv-in-more-than-one-room%3F

0 Ratings
pekingduck
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 18

I live in a flat and the BT Home hub is in the spare room (it goes my room, spare room, front room as you come in the front door) and I currently have a cable running from the spare room to the front room.
0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 18

So it what you mean is that you have an Ethernet cable running between the rooms?

If so, can you intercept this cable as it passes through your room, and insert an Ethernet switch in your room so you can connect the extra box to that?

I assume you already have a TV feed into your room?

0 Ratings
pekingduck
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 18

I've had a BT box in the front room for a number of years and used to have a "video sender" in the bedroom but wanted to try and go for something that didn't have wires trailing all over the place or when the "flip" bit of the sender gets pushed down it takes an age to get a decent signal again. Thought that a BT extra box would have been the answer to it all but doesn't look that way if I'm now going to have a wire trailing from the spare room to my bedroom as well as one going from the spare room to the front room.
0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 18

As I have said, the extra box will need both a TV aerial connection, and a connection back to the home hub.

You may be able to use the BT Mini connectors which would avoid having to run a cable from the home hub to the spare box. See

BT Youview box not near the home hub? Here is the solution.

0 Ratings
pekingduck
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 18

OK thanks for your help. Nothing is ever straight forward nowadays is it 😞 😞
0 Ratings
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 8 of 18

You may need to contact BT and check that Extra Box has been enabled at their end for your account.

I don't know exactly what they do but I do know that after an engineers visit some time ago where they changed one of my boxes the other didn't work, of course I only discovered this after the engineer had left and it took several phone calls to get it sorted as the Indian call center didn't understand the problem, I was eventually connected to someone in the UK and it must have taken him all of 30 seconds to put it right at their end.

0 Ratings
ByJings
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 18

Hi @pekingduck 

I'm also thinking of having a second box in another room but I can't find anywhere on the BT web site for placing an order.I've gone through the process of updating my products/services but never get an option to add a second box. I've come to the conclusion that I don't see this option because I added BT TV App Extra about a year ago and because the latter can be used for streaming/casting to a TV in another room it is assumed that I don't need a second BT box.

I've read many posts in different topics on this forum but none of them give the information I need. Can you please provide some info on how you ordered your second box and what the 1-time cost and monthly subscription cost are. Can you also advise if you were already signed up for BT TV App Extra when you ordered your second box, as I may have to remove that first.

Thanks in advance.

0 Ratings
pekingduck
Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 18

Apologies it's taken me so long to respond.  I called them up on 0800 800 150 and ordered a new box.  It didn't cost me anything for the box.   I also ordered (at a later date) a BT Mini Connector Kit which they charged me £7.95 (I think) for postage.  I have only just set everything up and called them yesterday to request "Extra Room Subscription" which is £5.00 per month.  I haven't tried it out yet as they said it can take 24 hours to take effect - I'll try it when I get home this evening.  I haven't downloaded the BT TV App Extra.  Hope this helps.

0 Ratings