Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
PBMCB
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 11

BT TV HD pixelating

Go to solution

I have r cently signed up for BT TV, nc BT sport and hd.

All the non- had channels work fine but when I try to watch BT sport in he the picture is ok for a little while but then starts pixelating. Sometin

mes it s too bad to watch but sometimes the picture clears for a while.

When it pixelates I can switch to the equavelent non- hd channel and the picture is perfect.

I reported the problem to BT and their support team in India talked me through resetting the box ( two separate occasions) but that hadn't helped.

I don't know how old my tv aerial is but it could be old. I normally watch via Sky but have never had any problems when I have watched via my "tv", although that does have a built in free view box.

I can't seem to get any definite answer as to whether the HD problem might be conn cited to my old aerial and don't want to waste money n a new aerial if it is not necessary. My BT  Infinity speed varies between 32-36 MPs.

Any help appreciated !

0 Ratings
10 REPLIES 10
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 11

Re: BT TV HD pixelating

Go to solution

Welcome to this customer to customer forum. @PBMCB

It could be errors on your broadband connection.

Is there any noise on your phone calls? Dial 17070 and select option 2, there should be no noise between the announcements.

0 Ratings
PBMCB
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 11

Go to solution

Hi Keith, thanks for your fast reply!

Have tested as you suggest and there is absolutely no noise on the line, and I have no noise during normal phone calls.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 4 of 11

Go to solution

Your Tv Aerial signal will impact the Freeview channels only.

So your old aerial is not the cause of problems on the BT Sport HD channels which along  with any channels numbered 300 - 599 are delivered over your broadband connection.

0 Ratings
PBMCB
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 11

Go to solution
Ok, thanks for that. So, it seems as though it is either my broadband connection that may be the issue or perhaps the BT tv box itself is faulty?
I haven't noticed any problems with the broadband and my computer, phone and things like iPad and Kindles all seem to work ok.
0 Ratings
Hunter2660
Recognised Expert
Message 6 of 11

Go to solution

You haven't mentioned how your box is connected to the Hub. A direct ethernet connection is preferred, if your using powerline adaptors these could be the problem.

0 Ratings
PBMCB
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 11

Go to solution
Hi, can't connect directly to the hub as that is in the hall, and am using BT's own powerline adaptors. It is directly into a socket, on its own.
Am I correct in ruling out my tv aerial?
I can't be the only person using the adaptors and BT themselves recommend using them.
Should I get BT to replace the box?
Thanks for the help.
0 Ratings
Hunter2660
Recognised Expert
Message 8 of 11

Go to solution

You can discount the TV aerial, and the box is unlikely to be faulty. The problem with powerline adaptors is the properties internal wiring which can cause issues with multicast streaming, specifically HD which will use more bandwidth. A pair of higher spech adaptors may resolve the problem, but can't be guaranteed. The cheapest way will to run an ethernet cable from the hub to the box, length is not an issue.

0 Ratings
PBMCB
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 11

Go to solution
Ok. Will get a long ethernet cable and let you know. Thanks.
0 Ratings
PBMCB
Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 11

Go to solution
Many thanks for the post. Have now connected the box via a 6 metre ethernet cable - perfect picture using HD. Problem solved!
0 Ratings